Engine Honda GCV 190 Repair

ClemsonHonda

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a new looking pressure washer on the side of the road the other day so I snagged it. Got to looking at it today and discovered the key on the shaft that drives the pump must have worked its way up and wiped the shaft seal. I'd love to fix it. The motor still runs, but only if the choke is closed all the way. I cleaned out the carb 3 or 4 different times thinking that was the problem, but it still wont run right. I removed the pump from the bottom to make sure it wasn't locked up. Everything turns freely. I guess my question is, is it worth spending a few bucks on and the time to fix it? I'm not sure the the motor has any internal damage, because I dont know if the previous owner ran it after all the oil blew out the bottom. If i decide to fix it, Where would be the best place to find a few shaft seal and key? Thanks

primerbulb120

Threads
If the shaft seal is gone, how are you running it to test it?

Running problem: I would clean out the fuel tank and fuel lines, buy a new carb and see if it works then. Honda carbs are hard to clean, and they're not too expensive to replace. You can buy them online for around $25 (prices vary based on which carb you need.)

Shaft seal: You can buy it online just like the carb.\

Shaft key: Buy it online, but MAKE SURE YOU GET A STEEL KEY SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR A PRESSURE WASHER!. If you get an aluminum key, it may shear off and destroy the keyways on both the shaft and the pump.

If you post the full model number, I'll look up the parts for you. This page from Honda shows you where to find the full model number: http://engines.honda.com/parts-and-support/engine-type-identification

I will need the pressure washer model number to look up the shaft key.

ClemsonHonda

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just filled up the motor with some oil. It stays in long enough to run for a few minutes. It's a Simpson pressure washer. Thanks for the link.

primerbulb120

Threads
I just filled up the motor with some oil. It stays in long enough to run for a few minutes. It's a Simpson pressure washer. Thanks for the link.

Okay, got it. I thought you meant the seal was completely gone. :laughing: