Getting Slop Out of MTD Steering

Threads

mhavanti

Threads
Yes Sir, it is priced at $3.19 US. Oh by the way, you can't help being in NZ. Its ok. Could be worse, you could be in Australia. Oh crap, wait, that ain't right. You can still get Utes in Australia and NZ. Y'all got it better than we do up here.

If you can find the bushing in the bronze gear, go for it over the plastic. If you check in ebay, you usually can find the gear and bushing kit around 7 to 10 bucks US.

Threads
Yes Sir, it is priced at $3.19 US. Oh by the way, you can't help being in NZ. Its ok. Could be worse, you could be in Australia. Oh crap, wait, that ain't right. You can still get Utes in Australia and NZ. Y'all got it better than we do up here.

If you can find the bushing in the bronze gear, go for it over the plastic. If you check in ebay, you usually can find the gear and bushing kit around 7 to 10 bucks US.

haha, yes we do, even Ute racing over here too! And in Australia!
We copied it off them!

Yes, I figured it when I re read some stuff,
those bushings exactly.
If we have any plastic ones here I will get one of them,
then source a bronze one.

Now that I have tracked down the problem I am keen to get it sorted,
and working like it would have when it was new.

Again many thanks to you dedicated forumites!

mhavanti

Threads
You're very welcome. Take lots of pics and post them as you go. That always helps others more than words for some.

I'd enjoy trying the right hand turn circle racing downunda. Take good care my new friend.

Max

Threads
You're very welcome. Take lots of pics and post them as you go. That always helps others more than words for some.

I'd enjoy trying the right hand turn circle racing downunda. Take good care my new friend.

Max

Check out Teretonga Park, near Invercargill, mostly left handers, especially the amazing loop, bit like your Ovals!
No not really.

In a few hours online you guys have helped me sort an issue some said were "unsortable" and wanted to sell me a new machine.
But I don't want a new one, I want an old one going as good as new!

Thank you so much for the link.
Will check my local supplier Monday, see if they have any, if not will order off one of those suppliers.
A bronze one and 4 plastic ones for the king pins.

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
Robin,

I'm looking Teretonga Park, near Invercargill, on Google Earth as I write this. Thanks.

While you're at it, get the 4 bushings for the front wheels as well. They require a grease zerk in at least two of them. If I remember correctly, my Yardboy, ummmm, YardMan would only accept two as the zerk bushing was longer than the non-greasable bushing. Yours may be different since it is a '90 year model and MTD cut lots of corners by '96 and even more by now.

The reason I'm speaking to the wheel bushings is that there is inherit slop in your wheels contributing to the allowable amount of play in the steering wheel and all the slack from wheels, king pins, tie rods (4 of them), flat gear, pinion gear, steering shaft behind the dash. All that becomes aggregate................Thus, Clown Car Deluxe and that is not desirable to me. Probably not you.

Have fun with it.

Max

mhavanti

Threads
Robin,

The Cabbage Tree Restaurant and Outpost looks very nice. Teretonga Park, near Invercargill is sweet! Dirt Oval next to the Paved Road Coarse, near the MotoCross, near a Paved Oval with a Go Kart track in the middle. It would take me months getting tired of wearing out the youngsters on all of those except the dirt bikes. Still love'em, still ride'em, but, I'm way too heavy to compete for very long with the addition of all the arthritus. Other than that, few laps and I'll give'em something to talk about back at high school the next day. lol

By the way, in your off season, try this out if you have a tablet with WiFi. Real Racing 3. Some kids egged me on until I got it and then they kept getting their friends to add me without telling them even in a stupid race game, I'll wear'em out. When one beats me and brags about it, I simply say to them, since they had never seen me in person. You do know you're bragging about beating a 65 year old? Then the arguments begin about being too old to race. lol.

That is a great place Robin you have down there. Race till they throw dirt on you buddy.