Getting Slop Out of MTD Steering

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yup.
Steering gear parts are correct (up to but not including the axles), but I already got those OEM parts laying around.
My thing is that the original design sucks, and I would like to develop a system that doesn't have
all the slop to begin with, which just gets worse with age.
Shore up the pinion to quadrant meshing; steering link to quadrant joints, and the steering link to spindle links.
If I had a cadaver frame and steering setup, I could attempt meaningful modifications.

Sorry bout the goofup, don't know what you've got over there, graveyards are probably your next best shot, shame you're not close-by we have 2 good size graveyards I deal with, and sometimes these other guys that pick-up broken machines to rebuild & sell, dump a big amount of leftover stuff once in awhile, If ya send me a list of what to look for, I'll keep my eyes open next time I'm at one of the yards. Nice thing bout Fl. is, there's a LOT of mowers and we can mow at least 9 months or more a year, so there is a good amount of used equipment around especially at first spring, when folks decide since they can't get their mower started, it's time to buy a new one, ( except for us gear-heads of course) Well buddy i THOUGHT I might have been of some help, NO cigar this time ..:thumbdown:..:confused3:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Almost any and all input can be helpful.
What I really need is to mate the steering and front suspension from a Mustang II to my mower's chassis..........

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Almost any and all input can be helpful.
What I really need is to mate the steering and front suspension from a Mustang II to my mower's chassis..........

OK, showing my Polish, but it is what it is, what hell is a Mustang 2 ..?? Only Mustang I know is a car ! ( LOL )..:confused2:..:confused2:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mustang II
Mustang2.jpg
Ok so my picture is of the only one that looked good but that is what it is.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice car, Chuck.
I had a '74 fastback w/302 and auto. Ran good til I let Ford dealer "service" the tranny.
Never shifted right again, and I could not convince then that they screwed it up!

Anyway, back to the issue at hand.
I noticed that the fan gear's teeth are indeed canted hopefully to an angle that meshes with the pinion.
I may attempt to cut one up and stack the gear faces together to make a thicker contact surface.
Won't exactly cure the problem, but woun't hurt,either.
I'm also going to bush the point where the steering shaft exits the dash panel just below the steering wheel.
Removing that slop won't cure the problem either, but will give the system a more precise feel.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remember you are working with a worm gear and if you line up the 2 fan gear's teath it may get harder to turn or not be able to turn at all. May have to offset it for the worm gear to mesh.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remember you are working with a worm gear and if you line up the 2 fan gear's teath it may get harder to turn or not be able to turn at all. May have to offset it for the worm gear to mesh.

Nope. No worm gear...straight cut pinion gear s-l500.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good that makes things easier.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good that makes things easier.

Chuck: please excuse my ignorance, (c'mon gimme a break, remember I can STILL call Santa about your stocking ya know ) anyway, do I get this right ?? you wanna adapt an automotive steering into your MOWER ..??? sounds like a MAJOR undertaking to me , FOR A LAWNMOWER ..??? Ya gonna drop a HEMI on it and hope hope ya can hold it straight for a 1/4 mile ??? ( LOL ) we had a 2005 MTD Yard-Man/ 46in. deck 21HP Briggs, used it for 2 years to cut 3 1/2 acres some slight hills N lots of Pine trees (them pine-cones make a helluva racket if ya don't pick em up before mowin) it was a LAWN-tractor, NOT a GARDEN tractor, and we NEVER had a steering problem with it, machine was bought used and about 4 years old ( it got stolen) ALL this for a mower you really don't use for your regular mowin ?? I'm surely missing something here good buddy, I'm NOT tryin to insult your intelligence or intentions, just bein NOSEY... AGAIN !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was offered in a tongue-in-cheek manner...kinda like your picture...
Mustang II front ends are used in hot rodding as a highly adaptable, highly precise
steering/suspension setup.

It was a joke,Son!
(I never been much of a Hemi guy, although we rebuilt one of the first "Fire Dome V-8" motors
in a 1952 DeSoto. 276.1 cu. in.) (that .1 musta been REAL important..)
More of a small; block Chev guy myself.........