Getting Slop Out of MTD Steering

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Chuck: please excuse my ignorance, (c'mon gimme a break, remember I can STILL call Santa about your stocking ya know ) anyway, do I get this right ?? you wanna adapt an automotive steering into your MOWER ..??? sounds like a MAJOR undertaking to me , FOR A LAWNMOWER ..??? Ya gonna drop a HEMI on it and hope hope ya can hold it straight for a 1/4 mile ??? ( LOL ) we had a 2005 MTD Yard-Man/ 46in. deck 21HP Briggs, used it for 2 years to cut 3 1/2 acres some slight hills N lots of Pine trees (them pine-cones make a helluva racket if ya don't pick em up before mowin) it was a LAWN-tractor, NOT a GARDEN tractor, and we NEVER had a steering problem with it, machine was bought used and about 4 years old ( it got stolen) ALL this for a mower you really don't use for your regular mowin ?? I'm surely missing something here good buddy, I'm NOT tryin to insult your intelligence or intentions, just bein NOSEY... AGAIN !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Just a complete car guy here. If I can make it go faster and straighter then why not. Remember My son and I built a 10 sec 1/4 mile 4 cylinder turbocharged Eclipse. That is not much different than a lawn mower now is it?:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Threads
Interesting looking at that parts list. I assume lots of those parts will fit an old White FST 14 4 wheel steer.

However, none of the suppliers are keen to suppy NZ, wont even reply to emails.
Guess that is the problem living on the underside/topside of the world!

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Ahhh, another subscriber to the "south Superior Society" I see!
The notion that North is up, hence better than South, which is "down."
East is right, hence better than West, which is left.
These global constructs are....purely arbitrary!!

I have held for many years that the South Pole is actually at the the top of the planet.
So, one traveling from South to North would be going "down North," and Australia, instead
of being "Down Under," would be "Up Over."
One of many non-conformist views I have held since my youth...........(I am semi left-handed...)

Some day I may expound on my theory of: "Holinetics: A fresh new look at today's social problems."

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ahhh, another subscriber to the "south Superior Society" I see!
The notion that North is up, hence better than South, which is "down."
East is right, hence better than West, which is left.
These global constructs are....purely arbitrary!!

I have held for many years that the South Pole is actually at the the top of the planet.
So, one traveling from South to North would be going "down North," and Australia, instead
of being "Down Under," would be "Up Over."
One of many non-conformist views I have held since my youth...........(I am semi left-handed...)

Some day I may expound on my theory of: "Holinetics: A fresh new look at today's social problems."

MAN !! that will open Pandora's box, AND a can of worms !! to say the very least !!

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I call it .. Lock N Load !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Yeah:

Lock of hair
Load of crap !

Methinks we're getting off topic.....that should be reserved for the MTD Transaxle repair forum!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah:

Lock of hair
Load of crap !

Methinks we're getting off topic.....that should be reserved for the MTD Transaxle repair forum!

Agreed !

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just purchased a steering bracket assy. including the mounting bracket,fan gear, and all attaching bolts and bushings for the gear.
When I get that I will have the setup test bed that I have been wanting.
I'll be able to test methods and modifications to tighten up that assembly without
incurring down time for the tractor, which I still use regularly for leaf-mulching duty.

After tightening up the fan gear mounting and pinion gear meshing, I'm thinking
spherical washers for the upper drag link attachments and Heim joints at the spindles.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting looking at that parts list. I assume lots of those parts will fit an old White FST 14 4 wheel steer.

However, none of the suppliers are keen to suppy NZ, wont even reply to emails.

Jacks Small Engines
Barretts
Is where I get most of my bits from.
If they post to Aust they will post to NZ.