Getting Slop Out of MTD Steering

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Metal spray may be one solution, or maybe have the teeth built back up by a welder.
In either case, finish machining would be necessary, and possibly heat treating.
Pretty expensive, to say the least.

Is there any sort of mower junk yard there that may have one??

Of course, there's always the Mustang II front end............

Threads
Hi Guys

I have made a small work around for the medium term.

I put a new bush with brass shim in the bush that locates the pinion shaft which has the gear for the steering segment.
The pinion shaft was tight, but works fine when all fitted up.
I wanted absolutely not slop in this part of the mechanism!

When I put the steering sector (ss)back on I put a washer under ss centre bolt, about 1.5 mm thick. (just one I had in my kit!)
I did not modify the other bolt that locates the ss.
The effect of this was to twist the ss down, make it run on the lower part of the gear on the pinion shaft.
This means it is effectively running on a "new" section of the gear.

Hopefully all will be well for the next 27 years!
But I will still keep searching the mower places for a better pinion shaft than mine!

And MTD say the part I want 717 1700 is now obsolete.
I will try to get a photo, but it is likely to be a challenge.

mhavanti

Threads
Sounds like you are right where you need to be and the Mustang II or American Motors Pacer front ends are still a possibility! lol

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, a scant 8 months ago I thought I had this thing whipped.
Wrong...........

I need to replace the steering wheel shaft hex bushing and probably the pinion gear.....AGAIN.
Also had to replace a tie rod plastic bushing. UGH !!

So, now I have re-lit the redesign fires again for this horrible design.
I will be re-examining ways to incorporate spherical bearings at the ends of the steering linkages,
and trying to come up with a better steering gear arrangement.

(Even tho I have a new Hustler Raptor SD54, I use the Huskee doe mulching and rough terrain duties.)

mhavanti

Threads
Hate that for you.

My ole MTD All Steer drives better than it ever has and seems to be getting even easier to steer since all the slack has been removed and the nylon wear pad bushings put into place.

Good luck buddy,

Max

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
MTD STEERING PARTS

Ron, sorry I forgot ya can't post a pic in a pm, only a url, anyway check out these MTD steering parts from a 600 SERIES machine, you might be able to convert yours to this type I used the steering pic that I think it was you that posted for my reference, let me know if this is the same thing we're yappin bout ...BOO

https://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd...9-yard-machines-lawn-tractor-2005-home-depot/

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/m...parts-c-20039_20060_197430.html?q=13AG601H729

AHH NEVER MIND THE PICS here's the URL'S after all.. can't get my schitt together today !!

1 is ereplacementparts other is partstree, be sure you check the DIAGRAM numbers real close if you think this will work ..SORRY for the screw-up on the PM, keep me up to speed... Boo

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ron if ya scroll down on the steering parts section, in the (ereplacementparts) you can see the parts, I'm hoping this is all the right stuff I'm sending, when I said modify, I was meaning if you have the spiral gear, you would have to change to the STRAIGHT cut gear and associated parts/hardware.. I'd like to know I helped get this machine steering the way you want, we'll see !

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ron if ya scroll down on the steering parts section, in the (ereplacementparts) you can see the parts, I'm hoping this is all the right stuff I'm sending, when I said modify, I was meaning if you have the spiral gear, you would have to change to the STRAIGHT cut gear and associated parts/hardware.. I'd like to know I helped get this machine steering the way you want, we'll see !

Yup.
Steering gear parts are correct (up to but not including the axles), but I already got those OEM parts laying around.
My thing is that the original design sucks, and I would like to develop a system that doesn't have
all the slop to begin with, which just gets worse with age.
Shore up the pinion to quadrant meshing; steering link to quadrant joints, and the steering link to spindle links.
If I had a cadaver frame and steering setup, I could attempt meaningful modifications.