Kohler K181 question

Buckwheat1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new here and am looking for info on an engine problem I have. My K181 on a log splitter won't start. It was having problems and so I decided to do an overhaul. Honed cylinder w/ new rings(kohler), valve seats re-cut, valves refaced, valve clearances set at ex-.018 and in-.007. Removed points and condensor and installed an Atom module. Has good hot spark. Removed flywheel and inspected key and slots....all perfect. Removed coil and cleaned all grounding areas all the way to the module. New carb and gaskets(old carb was badly corroded).4-5 pulls of the start rope shows 90-110 psi compression. Valve timing correct. Even with fuel introduced directly in to the carb via a metal squirt can the engine fails to start. The only thing I can think of is compression. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe the correct compression specs? Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you get the timing marks lines up correctly between the crankshaft and camshaft.

And if you can go back and delete your other post, it tend to confuse people when you get multiple post scattered around and makes it hard to follow the flow of answers.

Buckwheat1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Timing marks are aligned.

Not sure how to delete the post on the other thread.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler doesn't list compression for that engine because of compression release. Your reading should be within normal range for that engine though. It sounds like a timing issue, If the cam is timed correctly, could it be possible that the Atom module isn't firing the plug and the correct time.

You should be able to delete your other post by going to that post and hitting the edit button, and then there is a radio button that says delete post.

Buckwheat1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ignition timing was off. Found timing procedure in a manual and am up and running. Thanks for the replies.