Kohler K181 question

Buckwheat1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm new here and am looking for info on an engine problem I have. My K181 on a log splitter won't start. It was having problems and so I decided to do an overhaul. Honed cylinder w/ new rings(kohler), valve seats re-cut, valves refaced, valve clearances set at ex-.018 and in-.007. Removed points and condensor and installed an Atom module. Has good hot spark. Removed flywheel and inspected key and slots....all perfect. Removed coil and cleaned all grounding areas all the way to the module. New carb and gaskets(old carb was badly corroded).4-5 pulls of the start rope shows 90-110 psi compression. Valve timing correct. Even with fuel introduced directly in to the carb via a metal squirt can the engine fails to start. The only thing I can think of is compression. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe the correct compression specs? Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing I would do is check for spark. Get an inline spark detector. Check for the spark.
I am on my phone so I can not look up spec's but valve clearances don't seem right. Especially the exhaust. I would recheck those.

Buckwheat1

Forum Newbie
Threads
According to my Kohler specs the ex. should be 017-.019 with the in. being .006-.008. I've used quite a few modules and have never had an issue although there's always the first time. This engine is driving me nuts. I have the same engine on another piece of equipment and have never had an issue. Gonna try a couple of other things.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep that is why I said I was on my phone. Could not look up. Since you have a working engine I would swap parts to see if any are broken. Mostly for ignition.

Buckwheat1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turns out I wasn't aware there were timing marks on the flywheel. Set the ignition timing according to an online Kohler shop manual and one pull later I was up and running. Never saw the marks until I polished up the flywheel. Thanks for the replies.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or my approach was completely wrong. I'm glad you found it in spite of my help.:smile: