Drive shaft on JD1025R

tobac

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD1025R with mid mounted mower and front end loader. Ever since it was new I always felt the motor was vibrating too much at low revs. OK above 1500rpm. Lately I have noticed a rattle from under the tractor. On inspection it appears to be coming from where the drive shaft fits onto the spline on the transmission. It only fits over the spline with no securing bolts. Securing bolts were used on my previous JD X595 tractor. I am concerned this will wear the spline on the transmission. The tractor has done 200 hours. Has anyone had experience with this problem and if so a cure. Thanks.:frown:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a JD1025R with mid mounted mower and front end loader. Ever since it was new I always felt the motor was vibrating too much at low revs. :

That tractor has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel. I think you will find the vibrating a very normal thing for that engine. You should of went for a gas engine if you want a smoother running engine. I have found any spline drive shaft holds up better if you can grease them. I have come across this more often in my shop with ATV's then mowers.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I have a JD1025R with mid mounted mower and front end loader. Ever since it was new I always felt the motor was vibrating too much at low revs. OK above 1500rpm. Lately I have noticed a rattle from under the tractor. On inspection it appears to be coming from where the drive shaft fits onto the spline on the transmission. It only fits over the spline with no securing bolts. Securing bolts were used on my previous JD X595 tractor. I am concerned this will wear the spline on the transmission. The tractor has done 200 hours. Has anyone had experience with this problem and if so a cure. Thanks.:frown:
Are you talking about the drive shaft for the mower? If so its a quick release slip yoke. A picture would help.

tobac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you talking about the drive shaft for the mower? If so its a quick release slip yoke. A picture would help.

No I am talking about the main drive shaft to the transmission.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
They don't spline up far on the shaft. Its a design flaw. I'll bet if you crawl under there you have shaft play. I've seen some with close to 500 hours trouble free.