Mower
    John Deere 1025R

Drive shaft on JD1025R

I have a JD1025R with mid mounted mower and front end loader. Ever since it was new I always felt the motor was vibrating too much at low revs. OK above 1500rpm. Lately I have noticed a rattle from under the tractor. On inspection it appears to be coming from where the drive shaft fits onto the spline on the transmission. It only fits over the spline with no securing bolts. Securing bolts were used on my previous JD X595 tractor. I am concerned this will wear the spline on the transmission. The tractor has done 200 hours. Has anyone had experience with this problem and if so a cure. Thanks.

Mower
    Ferris, John Deere, Wheel Horse, Toro,

Re: Drive shaft on JD1025R

Quote Originally Posted by tobac View Post
    I have a JD1025R with mid mounted mower and front end loader. Ever since it was new I always felt the motor was vibrating too much at low revs. :
    That tractor has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel. I think you will find the vibrating a very normal thing for that engine. You should of went for a gas engine if you want a smoother running engine. I have found any spline drive shaft holds up better if you can grease them. I have come across this more often in my shop with ATV's then mowers.

Mower
    Toro John Deer Kubota

Quote Originally Posted by tobac View Post
    I have a JD1025R with mid mounted mower and front end loader. Ever since it was new I always felt the motor was vibrating too much at low revs. OK above 1500rpm. Lately I have noticed a rattle from under the tractor. On inspection it appears to be coming from where the drive shaft fits onto the spline on the transmission. It only fits over the spline with no securing bolts. Securing bolts were used on my previous JD X595 tractor. I am concerned this will wear the spline on the transmission. The tractor has done 200 hours. Has anyone had experience with this problem and if so a cure. Thanks.
    Are you talking about the drive shaft for the mower? If so its a quick release slip yoke. A picture would help.

Mower
    John Deere 1025R

Re: Drive shaft on JD1025R

Quote Originally Posted by RDA.Lawns View Post
    Are you talking about the drive shaft for the mower? If so its a quick release slip yoke. A picture would help.
    No I am talking about the main drive shaft to the transmission.

Mower
    Toro John Deer Kubota

They don't spline up far on the shaft. Its a design flaw. I'll bet if you crawl under there you have shaft play. I've seen some with close to 500 hours trouble free.