FX600V Smokes on Startup

primerbulb120

Threads
I bought a used Gravely Compact Pro 44 last week. Has a Kawasaki FX600V engine. Around 400 hours, which is not much for a commercial mower. It starts instantly upon turning the key and runs nice and smooth.

This morning was the coldest morning we've had in a while. I went out to move the Gravely. It fired right up as usual, but it produced a large cloud of blue smoke. The smoke went away after a few seconds of running. It has never smoked up until this morning.

Does the smoke have something to do with the cold, and if so, what can I do to stop it?

Thanks!

primerbulb120

Threads
Just talked to the Gravely dealer and they said it's normal. According to them, oil can leak into the combustion chamber if the intake valve is open while the mower is off.

Is the dealer trying to take me in on this? With all the concerns about exhaust emissions, I can't believe the EPA would let Kawasaki get away with this.

??? :confused2:

primerbulb120

Threads
Update on the Kawi: Still intermittently smokes when cold, although with the warmer weather it is doing it less frequently. No problems yet and it's a very smooth running engine. :thumbsup: