john deere 285

basstracker

Threads
hello everyone, I traded for this mower and I cant get it to freewheel. I found the leaver and pushed it both ways but I still cant push the mower. is there something else you have to do? thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
hello everyone, I traded for this mower and I cant get it to freewheel. I found the leaver and pushed it both ways but I still cant push the mower. is there something else you have to do? thanks.

Lift up the rear end and try to spin the wheels.
If they spin easily in opposite direction then check the brake it will most likely be jambed on.

basstracker

Threads
Lift up the rear end and try to spin the wheels.
If they spin easily in opposite direction then check the brake it will most likely be jambed on.

thanks for the reply but its not the brakes its the transmisson. I dont know witch way to move the leaver.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you want help of are you just here to waste every ones time including yours ?
The brake works on the LAYSHAFT or to put it another way IT LOCKS THE TRANSMISSION EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS AN AUTO TRANNY WORKS IN PARK.

You are there
We are here
You have a problem
We have to work our way through it in a logical sequence till the problem is fixed.

SO HOW DO YOU KNOW IT IS NOT THE BRAKE WHEN YOU DON"T KNOW WHICH WAY OR HOW THE TRANSMISSION RELEASE WORKS ?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
285 JD is a hydro transmission. You will have to find the transmission release lever for free wheel operations. Best to figure this out with both back tires off the ground .like Bert said. BC the brake could be frozen as well.