series LA105

budwaggles

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have my Mothers John Deere lawn tractor and it fouls the plug after 3 or 4 times using it! It doesn't burn any oil and the carb has be adjusted to factory setting! What might the problem be? The plug comes out with a carbon like small build up on it! It cranks for, sometimes, 4 to 5 minutes before it finally starts! When it runs it doesn't miss or backfire and there is no smoke! I replaced the selanoid last year! The mower is approx. 6 yrs. old and has been regularly maintained!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have my Mothers John Deere lawn tractor and it fouls the plug after 3 or 4 times using it! It doesn't burn any oil and the carb has be adjusted to factory setting! What might the problem be? The plug comes out with a carbon like small build up on it! It cranks for, sometimes, 4 to 5 minutes before it finally starts! When it runs it doesn't miss or backfire and there is no smoke! I replaced the selanoid last year! The mower is approx. 6 yrs. old and has been regularly maintained!
Does regularly maintained include a new air filter every year or more often if mowing in adverse conditions? How about checking valve lash?

I've never known of a lawn tractor battery capable of cranking 4-5 minutes.:laughing:

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Well a la105 if fairly old. Its very possible the carb is out of adjustment or dirty allowing to much gas which will foul plugs.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Side note a LA 105 was made only 2 years 08 to 2010. At best its 7 years old. Adjust valves clean carb . Should be good to go.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has the Briggs engine it very well could have a leaking head gasket.
They go between the pushrod tube & cylinder.
It is very common and causes hard starting and oil fouling on the plug.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section.