Stihl BG55 crankshaft roller bearings

goosemasterkl

Threads
Can the roller bearings be changed on the connecting rod on a Stihl BG55 leaf blower engine? Or do you have to buy a new crank? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The crank is rivited together by the big end journal & they can not be split so it is new crank time.
The 2 halves have to be balanced very closely which is outside the capacity of 99% of most mechanics let alone private owners.

goosemasterkl

Threads
Thanks bertsmobile1; I was kind of thinking that but I was hoping. I'm trying to find a crankshaft for the thing and it's hard to believe that Stihl has probably sold over a million of them and I can't find 1 used one. Thanks again for your reply.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What can you buy a new blower for, 150 dollars? Is it worth fixing? When I have one of them 2 cycle engines come into my shop this is a question I will ask the customer before I even start. You are supplying your own labor cost so that dose help with this repair. Or are you to the point of no return with the cost of parts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I seriously doubt you will find a used one.
I have a 20 x 10 shed full to the top with old bluesmokes for "spares"
When customers are paying me $ 60 /hr to repair their gear they do not want me to put used parts in there.
There is just no profit to be made from wrecking these engines when you can get Chinese copies for $ 10 ( wholesale price ) or $ 30 retail.
There is 1 to 2 hours work for me to get a crank out of a chainsaw.
There is 10 minutes for me to check a catalogue & I get a new part with 12 months warranty which I can pass on to the owner.
Old used ones could have been sitting out of the saw in a damp shed for 10 years and fall apart or they could have been carefully removed, cleaned, oiled then wrapped for proper storeage.
But the end user has no idea, so will never fir a used crank, unless have pulled it out myself.