MS 250 wont shut down

ghost1

Threads
Is it possible coil has broken down not allowing it to ground? All wiring checks out ok.

NorthBama

Threads
I had a troy bilt trimmer that did the same was a bad coil would not ground to shut down

ghost1

Threads
Thanks, that's the way I was leaning. Ever had any luck with the aftermarket versions on BaBay?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Ms250 sthil chainsaw? If yes its the wire in the kill switch. It has a barrel end slid into the kill switch. They slide out sometimes and don't ground out to kill it. Take the top handle assembly apart. You can see it. Not a hard fix.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Corrections the kill switch is under the top cowling. Take it off you can see it. This model has a kill switch spring that tends to break. Less than 10$ in parts.

ghost1

Threads
Thanks,.. I used continuity check and ran wires to ground. Switch operates as it should, however coil is still sending spark even when it's grounded.

NorthBama

Threads
Thanks,.. I used continuity check and ran wires to ground. Switch operates as it should, however coil is still sending spark even when it's grounded.

that is how I tested the one I had and just like you said saw would not shut off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So the switch works, but is the cut out wire still attached to the module ?

ghost1

Threads
Yes, still connected. When switch is closed, there is continuity from module to ground, however, saw will still start even leaving switch closed (off).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, still connected. When switch is closed, there is continuity from module to ground, however, saw will still start even leaving switch closed (off).

Then the module has an internal short as you initially thought.