Replacement Spindle has different drive lugs requiring different blades

mhavanti

Threads
  • / Replacement Spindle has different drive lugs requiring different blades
I purchased replacement spindles for a 1998 MTD Yard Man All Wheel Steer, 42" cut lawn tractor. The original spindles had the start lug for the blades. The replacement spindle only has three lugs. The three lugs line up just fine, however, the lugs are a bit too wide at the outer most portion of the gear tooth making them more squared off than rounded. DSC04644.JPGDSC04645.JPG

Does anyone have this type of spindle with three drive lugs and what brand and model number are the blades for this type of spindle?

Thanks in advance,

Max

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some asian manufacturer is always jerking us around so if the blades don't fit return them and re-build the originals.

mhavanti

Threads
Exactly what I've come to the conclusion is best. Already had another pair of spindles delivered. They were actually correct for the year I purchased the mower new. 1996. However, the spindle units on the deck and noone has ever been into it since new, were '97 up. The blades have 98 stamped on them and since I can't seem to find enough numbers to match the manual or parts diagrams to find any numbers on the blades with 98 in them. I said in the post it is a '98, which is impossible unless Sam's Club in Sherwood, AR. can get items before they're even built. lol

By the way, everything else on the mower dates out as '96 except the deck. The mower model sticker below the seat must have been washed off many years ago. So, have had to continually go by the manual.

Thanks for the reply,

Max

mhavanti

Threads
Thanks Primer! I lost all my favorites here lately and am rebuilding my parts supply links. I appreciate that.

What I ended up doing was removing the shafts from both arbors, then sanded the original and placed the old shaft into the new arbor, which I should have returned other than I had to thread the mounting holes and I didn't figure they'd take them back.

So, in the long run, I could have put four 1.50 bearings from China (which the machine came with in 1996), 6 bucks to end up with the same thing I now have 50 bucks in, plus the same amount of work.

I have a next door neighbor that has a 93 that the three mower repair shops all told him he can no longer get spindles, bushings, bearings for. I have his spindle apart and of course, it also uses the same 6204-2R3C bearings. I'll buy his old mower, repair it and let one of my family have a good ole hydraulic 50" cut Yard Man that runs like a Deere! lol

Thanks everyone.

mhavanti

Threads
I just noticed the thanks I thought I posted to you didn't stick. My apologies. Allow me to thank you now. Thanks PrimerB!

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have found it less expensive and easier to replace the bearings than the whole spindles.........

mhavanti

Threads
I agree with that.