LX173 wont stop moving with clutch pushed in

brinkkl2000

Threads
I just did some repairs to the transmission, replaced the main input gear and bearings. I reinstalled with a new belt (1/2" X 89") now the mower runs forward and reverse as it should, so I am confident in that repair, but when I push in the clutch it continues to move. Looking under the mower when it is running the belt is continuing to turn and wont disengage from the front pulley causing the transmission pulley to turn. The brakes are good and will stop it, but the pulley turns so the it wont come in to or out of gear easily. I believe I have the belt routing correct according to diagrams. The rear idler is adjusted all the way in, loose, as is the front adjustable idler. There are static belt guides on the transmission so I don't think that is it. The only adjustable one is up front and I believe that is in the right place as well. Any other good solutions to this. Belt should be the correct length.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Check the clutch linkage. It probably came undone.

brinkkl2000

Threads
Are you referring to the rod with a spring on it that connects the clutch pedal to the swiveling idler assembly? That is fully intact and I don't see anything hanging that is disconnected...

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Watch the idlers to see if they move when you press the clutch.

brinkkl2000

Threads
Did that, they are moving. I even had the engine running at a low rpm and moved the idlers by hand until they wouldn't move any further and the pulleys were still engaged. Could the belt I got be too short even though they crossed correctly, or the belt to "sticky" for lack of a better term. It is a Gates A87 I think. Feels fairly rubbery whereas other belts, such as True Blue, seem to made of a material that doesn't feel sticky.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need a belt the correct length with a cloth wrap.

Attachments

• belt.JPG
    belt.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 4

brinkkl2000

Threads
I think I have got it. I did get an oem replacement belt from Stens that has a cloth wrap and everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks for the help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think I have got it. I did get an oem replacement belt from Stens that has a cloth wrap and everything seems to be working as it should. Thanks for the help.

Unwrapped belts are designed to never slip the rubber gets sticky when hot so will not slip on the pulleys.
have this arguement at least once a week when some one wants to use $ 20 plain belt in place of the $ 80 correct belt.
Glad you have sorted your problem