New tiger cub engine

Cooper1960

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a Tiger cub mower for free that has a bad engine, otherwise it's in decent shape. Current engine Kawasaki FH680V-AS12 doesn't seem to be available any longer. I had a dealer tell me the closest replacement is a FS691V-ES08-S. The big BUT is it's not a direct mount and mow replacement, the dealer said the starter and other electrical connections would need to be reconfigured. I always do everything myself and am handy and experienced but wont claim to be a small motor genius. Would this swap be a major issue or is it fairly straight forward? Any place I can find instructions for the procedure?

Or....does anyone know a source where I could get the original engine? Or a more direct replacement?

Thanks

By the way my first post here, I hope the Scag forum was the correct place to post, if not just let me know.

Cooper1960

Forum Newbie
Threads

I have checked with them, and several others. It seems each dealer has a different idea of what the best replacement engine is, and what I would need to do to make things work. Smallenginewarehouse at least had a FH680 number engine, others have thrown models at me that have totally different numbers. I tried finding a Kawasaki cross reference list and did find one but it didn't list my current engine.

And sadly I went to my local dealer and he told me it was a waste of time and money to re power and old mower (2007), he just wanted to sell me a new mower.

dnewton3

Threads
Re-powering a mower is by far and away a better alternative (less cost) than buying, presuming the TC mower you got is in decent shape.

It's not rocket science, but it does depend upon how much you want the safety controls to be interactive. You are correct in that the dealer wants to sell you a new unit rather than save you money.

Small engines need very little in terms of running; 12v power to starter and ignition with circuit interruption to eliminate battery drain at shutdown. A charging loop for the battery. A separate circuit for the electric PTO. That's about it.

It's all the interactive permission loops (seat safety, movement control safeties, blade engagement safety, etc) that complicate the issue. If you don't fear the operation of the unit and trust yourself, then many of those safeties can be removed. I am not advocating you do this in any manner unless you have full, complete, adult understanding of the risks associated with such endeavors and can accept the potential consequences, legal and otherwise..

I once re-powered an older lawn rider with a different engine I got from SEW. All I did was put in some simple switches:
- one toggle switch to ground the ignition (to stop engine from running). This is "open" for the engine to run and then closed to ground the ignition to shut it off.
- one toggle switch to engage battery circuit (to charge while running and not drain battery upon shut down). You close the circuit to charge batter and open circuit to prevent parasitic drain when off.
- one momentary switch to the starter circuit. Close the circuit to engage starter/solenoid
It is literally that simple. (I mounted the two toggle switches with their orientation opposite when side-by-side. In effect, the "up" position was open for one and closed for the other, so that when I wanted it to "run" of "off" I just had to flip both switches the same direction at the same time. The starter button was mounted nearby. This old mower arrangement still works to this day.

Now, if you get a replacement engine, it will certainly work as long as the clutch works on the shaft size (although there is no reason you could not get a different clutch ...) However, the wire harness is likely to have some different configurations. It's not that the wires needed will be different, but they may be in different positions in the harnesses and/or the harnesses may have different shapes. That's is what complicates things for some folks.

Not to be harsh, but it sounds like you're not up to the task; if you were you would not be asking. If you can read a schematic, then get the manual for the Scag you have for the chassis wiring, and then look over the engine power manual from the engine you choose. It should be no problem to trace out wires by function and splice them into the vehicle harness. If you cannot do this, find a local shop that can. If not, then you're stuck with getting another mower.

As far as selecting an engine, most of those warehouse places can offer advice in terms of "equal/alternate" motors to choose from. Get a few more ponies if you want. Or don't. When you re-power, the world is your oyster.

An important thing to not neglect is making sure that the new engine either has a muffler, or your old one will fit, and will that muffler fit properly on the chassis of the mower?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The electrics should not be a problem as just about all mowers are wired up the same and most wiring diagrams show the switch positions.
However they all use different plugs requireing you to cut them off and put new ones in.
Biggest problem is every mower company uses different colours so you really should tag each wire to avoid confusion and double check everything before you hook up the battery.
The only big thing to watch is to ensure that the kill wires t the ignition coils never ever gets connected to battery voltage.

Early wiring systems used + wires everywhere where but latter they changed to using ground wires thus avoiding shorts to frame burning down the mower.

AS for replacement engines, different people see this different ways.
An exact replacement will be an engine of the same power or slightly higher which will drop into the frames and every electrical & mechanical connection will be in the exact correct position to be hooked up.

This rarely happens so you need to change the electrical plugs and even run new bowden cables to the throttle & choke.
neither of these are a problem to a 1/2 way competent person but a lot of places will say that an engine requiring new control cables will not fit.

The only things that are important is the PTO shaft diameter & length so the pulleys will fit & line up.
Plus the physical dimensions of the engine from the PTO shaft to the edges of the engine so it dosn't foul on the frame
And the positions of the mounting bolt holes relative to the PTO shaft. Ideally they will be the same as the engine you are replacing but some times they are different & one will foul a frame member or end up in an access hole.

Most shops will call any engine that mechanically fits a swap providing the wireing plugs strait into the mower.

I have probably done better than 100 engine swaps I buy pallet loads of engines at this time of the year as I can get pulled engines really cheap in bulk.
The only problems come when I try to fit an OHV where a SV used to go or a twin where a single was.
On some ZTR's I have to drill new mounting holes to rotate the engine a little to get it to fit within the body but it makes no difference just so long as the PTO shaft ends up in exactly the same place and at exactly the same height.
Bowden cable is cheap and a simple Z bender is about $ 5 . Electrical plugs are cheap & I use auto blade terminals as they are easy to fit & dirt cheap to buy but if you do get a ratchet crimper as the cheap pliers type do not make good crimps.
I like to slip some heat shrink over the wire first then pull it back over the end of the crimp fitting and shrink it on for some extra strength.
Most of the mowers wiring will not need to be touched, just the connections between the mower & the engine which in most cases is no more than 6 wires .
So take off the blower housing of the old engine and tag all of the wires on the mower side of the plug according to what they are connected to then it is easy to hook the new engine up the same.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spec number of your FH680V-AS12, AS12 is a Scag original equipment manufacturer specification number.
The FH680V-S06-S is a direct replacement for the AS12 spec engine and still available at some small engine distributors.
Smallenginewarehouse.com has them in stock with no muffler.
Equipatron.com has them in stock with a muffler.
Other distributors may have them in stock.
Bear in mind that this engine was discontinued by Kawasaki about 8 years ago and replacements are getting scarce.
Measure the crankshaft diameter and length and order the repower engine with the same crankshaft size.