Craftsman lawn tractor rear end

Regwal

Threads
Is it worth trying to rebuild a non manual transmission or just replace the whole rear end?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it worth trying to rebuild a non manual transmission or just replace the whole rear end?

Well once we know if its a transmiision in a washing machine or something else ...
Do you walk into a restaurant and say I'm hungry ..and leave it at that ??

Make,Model year, etc. etc. and mostly any information from the transmission itself ..usually a sticker or plate or embedded into a housing ......get the idea ...???

Regwal

Threads
Thought enough info was in post title. Sorry about that. It is a Craftsman LT1500 42" cut 6 speed transaxle. Gray in color and has probably 30 hours run time or maybe less. :ashamed:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thought enough info was in post title. Sorry about that. It is a Craftsman LT1500 42" cut 6 speed transaxle. Gray in color and has probably 30 hours run time or maybe less. :ashamed:

OK,
On the tranny itself will be a tag we need to know what the tag says as it could be any one of a dozen different units.
The vari drive units are also considerd to be 4,5 or 6 speeds so 6 speed means nothing.
there should also be a tag under the seat and a photo of that will be of immense value.
Craftsman is nothing more than a trading name and Sears get them made under contract from a variety of companies.

Regwal

Threads
Anything I do myself requires the unit to be removed, so that is my path right now. Once removed there should be identification numbers I'm sure. If deciding to repair I may need advice so will post pictures of problem if possible. I have never looked inside one of these but have heard horror stories of attempted repairs. I'm sure something has snapped so should be easy to troubleshoot. It was working fine then just stopped, like the ground belt broke or came off. Nothing I can see is out of whack on outside so problem must be internal. Thanks Bertsmobil1 for reply and if anyone has had the same experience I would love to know what you found. Thinking of laying the tractor on its side for work, for safety reason and ease of seeing whats what. Would that be a problem? :licking:

Pumper54

Threads
Regwal,
As the others have said more information is needed to help identify the transmission so if you are able tip the seat forward to see if the tag is still visible that shows, make model and serial number of the mower. Also if you can take pictures of the mower, front, side and rear views to help in identifying the mower and then if you can look at the transmission while it is still in the mower to see if you can see and photograph any tags or other marks.

Safest way I would work on the mower is to block the front wheels, lift the back up and support it with jack stands or cribbing and then drop the tranny out and work on it at a bench. Just my .02 cents.
Tom

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anything I do myself requires the unit to be removed, so that is my path right now. Once removed there should be identification numbers I'm sure. If deciding to repair I may need advice so will post pictures of problem if possible. I have never looked inside one of these but have heard horror stories of attempted repairs. I'm sure something has snapped so should be easy to troubleshoot. It was working fine then just stopped, like the ground belt broke or came off. Nothing I can see is out of whack on outside so problem must be internal. Thanks Bertsmobil1 for reply and if anyone has had the same experience I would love to know what you found. Thinking of laying the tractor on its side for work, for safety reason and ease of seeing whats what. Would that be a problem? :licking:

WHY DO I GET THE FEELING THIS GUY IS " PULLING " OUR CHAIN...?? I'm ready to report as GARBAGE POSTING !!!

Regwal

Threads
“Well once we know if its a transmiision in a washing machine or something else ...
Do you walk into a restaurant and say I'm hungry ..and leave it at that ??”

“WHY DO I GET THE FEELING THIS GUY IS " PULLING " OUR CHAIN...?? I'm ready to report as GARBAGE POSTING !!!”

Really???? I am sure you do not speak for others on this forum Boobala, or at least I hope not. If so then I picked the wrong bunch of guys and gals to have discussions with. Maybe you see me as being a new member, thinking I am infringing on your turf. I hope none of this it true and I just took both your remarks the wrong way. You mentioned your age somewhere else as being 70ish but that is no excuse. I am 82 and have been around the horn a few times myself, working in 5 countries and 45 states I may have gained a little knowledge somewhere that would be worth sharing.

If administrator of this forum think I am out of line and a troublemaker then maybe I should be deleted, or whatever you do when a member is not wanted.

:mad:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is my explanation ,for what it's worth....
First off.. others & myself on this site, really try to extend ourselves to help those who truly need it .
Very often we get folks asking for our our help, without giving us a clue as to what the problem is or what it is they're trying to do or un-do ....
When I saw your post I noticed you had been here before , so I thought surely you would have known from previous posts (if you read any) you would ... OR should know, we need certain info. to begin the process of helping ...usually we need a brand name , model, serial # , year , size & make of engine and those numbers / letters codes etc. all this info. is relevant to us finding the necessary info. to help YOU ..the person asking US for help.
I will apologize for being quite abrupt in my first response.. it was uncalled for on my part ..all I can offer in my defense is that of lately the site has had some aggraviting S.O.B. posters playing games by loading the forums with junk input and in general being really frustrating by disrupting the flow of info.
I perceived you might be doing just that.. Why ..??? because I thought from reading your posts from last Dec. you have some knowledge of lawn equipment, and then when you stated you wanted to put the mower on its side ..
well that's when I took it as a jab of us being stupid enough to be played along.. that was all there was to it !.
I hope we can put this to rest by just callin ME ..A Grumpy Ol Man ..!!! ... Boobala

RDA.Lawns

Threads
WHY DO I GET THE FEELING THIS GUY IS " PULLING " OUR CHAIN...?? I'm ready to report as GARBAGE POSTING !!!
I agree instead of reading what was said about the tag he jumped into I'll have to do it myself. And yet to see a pic and he has no idea that the transmission is the problem. I looked the belt appeared to be fine isn't the answer. Unless he actually pulled on the belt and checked the routing he can't rule belt out. What's the old saying ? Keep it simple stupid.. Comes to mind. A friend of mine pulled the transmission out of his ford truck BC it wouldn't shift. After a costly trip to the transmission shop. They found nothing wrong. He reinstalled it same problems. Carried it to a shop. A vacuum line was the problem lol.