Craftsman lawn tractor rear end

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree instead of reading what was said about the tag he jumped into I'll have to do it myself. And yet to see a pic and he has no idea that the transmission is the problem. I looked the belt appeared to be fine isn't the answer. Unless he actually pulled on the belt and checked the routing he can't rule belt out. What's the old saying ? Keep it simple stupid.. Comes to mind. A friend of mine pulled the transmission out of his ford truck BC it wouldn't shift. After a costly trip to the transmission shop. They found nothing wrong. He reinstalled it same problems. Carried it to a shop. A vacuum line was the problem lol.

My mommy had NO stupid children... I'm off this thread !! ...:goodnight::

Regwal

Threads
"I agree instead of reading what was said about the tag he jumped into I'll have to do it myself. And yet to see a pic and he has no idea that the transmission is the problem. I looked the belt appeared to be fine isn't the answer."

RDA Lawns, you missed some of my statement so I will try to clear the water. My lawn tractor just quit moving. I checked what could be checked from the outside without seeing anything apparent causing this to happen. I removed the belt from input pulley and was able to turn freely. Most of these transaxles are pretty much the same but I have never had a reason to look inside one, only pictures. Therefor I ask a question here expecting someone to give me their thoughts on replacing or repairing the unit. I did not ask how to do the repair because I knew more info would be needed. I also ask the question of laying the tractor on it's side if anyone had done this with a Craftsman.

I have in the past turned my Sears ST16 Garden Tractor over to make repairs underneath without having problems. It was built in '72 (purchased new) and is quite a bit sturdier built and simpler too, but better in my opinion. I would not hesitate to do the same with my Husqvarna Garden Tractor if the need arises for it too is better build than a typical Lawn Tractor. (keeping in mind the orientation of the engine). I did not ever in any post try to jerk anyone's chain and sorry if I gave that impression. That seems to be a problem these days with all the expected PC with everyone. I never try to confront a person with simple things that really has no importance, and didn't this time. I have been respectful with my few post and intend to continue in that vane.

Boobala, this was a simple misunderstanding and sorry it happened. I'll not be so thin skinned in the future. Assuming the administrator allows my membership to continue. :ashamed:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
"I agree instead of reading what was said about the tag he jumped into I'll have to do it myself. And yet to see a pic and he has no idea that the transmission is the problem. I looked the belt appeared to be fine isn't the answer."

RDA Lawns, you missed some of my statement so I will try to clear the water. My lawn tractor just quit moving. I checked what could be checked from the outside without seeing anything apparent causing this to happen. I removed the belt from input pulley and was able to turn freely. Most of these transaxles are pretty much the same but I have never had a reason to look inside one, only pictures. Therefor I ask a question here expecting someone to give me their thoughts on replacing or repairing the unit. I did not ask how to do the repair because I knew more info would be needed. I also ask the question of laying the tractor on it's side if anyone had done this with a Craftsman.

I have in the past turned my Sears ST16 Garden Tractor over to make repairs underneath without having problems. It was built in '72 (purchased new) and is quite a bit sturdier built and simpler too, but better in my opinion. I would not hesitate to do the same with my Husqvarna Garden Tractor if the need arises for it too is better build than a typical Lawn Tractor. (keeping in mind the orientation of the engine). I did not ever in any post try to jerk anyone's chain and sorry if I gave that impression. That seems to be a problem these days with all the expected PC with everyone. I never try to confront a person with simple things that really has no importance, and didn't this time. I have been respectful with my few post and intend to continue in that vane.

Boobala, this was a simple misunderstanding and sorry it happened. I'll not be so thin skinned in the future. Assuming the administrator allows my membership to continue. :ashamed:

Well ... I am not above saying it was MY fault this came to this point...I jumped the gun on you and I apologize . Glad you aint a GRUMPY ol man too ! ( LOL ) Lets just put this behind us and get on with important matters. SO .. you 're 82 ...?? Don't you know what the word RETIRED means ..?? Hope I live to see 82..... Back to your situation, I believe if the mower is in decent shape , and you really like it.. AND at 82 are you able to do the work, do you have the manuals ,tools , and knowledge to handle the task at hand ..?? lets see if we can get your equipment numbers from the tractor... the engine.... and hopefully the transaxle..! If you can get that information we can start from there.. maybe the mower will be ressurected !! be aware parts are pricey these days ( if available ) sometimes a replacement trans is better than a repair and then theres always used equipment to consider as well but lets get those numbers,
you have several folks here itchin to help you with this ... Sorry for asking ...but do you have ANYONE to help you in this project... you may at some point need a helper with certain aspects of doing this... OK lets get the show on the road already ..we're waitin on you !!

As to your main questions .replacement or repair is your decision .. either way it will cost you
maybe its just a broken lever on the case or something as simple .. replacement will cost a good amount depending on what transaxle you have so lets hope it's a simple fix .
as far as puttin the mower on its side I've never heard of workin on it hat way .. NOT to say it cant be done but you will have fluids everywhere unless you drain everything and then it better be supported really well so as not to fall over ...NO... jackin up the rear and supports is the safer way .

Regwal

Threads
Boobala, bygones are bygones here.:thumbsup: I will not bother the forum again with this until removing the rear and splitting to see what is going on. I hope it will be the shaft key but luck is never with me on these endeavors. I have mowers for all my tractors including the Farmall Cubs so time is not important. This one has less than 30 hours so I'm really interested in seeing what caused the problem. My time is shared with a Geo Tracker I'm restoring for a GGD and that takes most of my spare minutes. There is a lot of knowledge on these pages and I will most likely use or share from time to time.

My helper is usually my wife. She is pretty good at asking the obvious, things us macho guys take for granted and skim over. She is also pretty good pulling wrenches and operating a winch when lifting equipment. Just wish she would get the hang of running a weld because I have trouble doing it.

Last edited:

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Before you do that . Check the drive pulley on the engine. I almost never see them fail. But start simple first.

Regwal

Threads
Before you do that . Check the drive pulley on the engine. I almost never see them fail. But start simple first.

Good point! I'm almost sure the belt was moving but will check anyway. Simple to reach in and turn since the belt is off.

mhavanti

Threads
Regwal,

I am no different than any other fella here other than I can give you an idea what possibly could be the problem. If your transaxle has a carrier housing (can assembly), the four screws could back out of the differential gear causing your mower to feel as though the belts are slipping in one direction before the last screw finally backs out.

I've had mowers with one screw left holding the carrier housing attached to the differential gear and actually move in one direction (usually forward) but wouldn't move the other direction. I'm adding a link to a drawing that could give you an idea of what I'm speaking. http://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd/...-man-lawn-tractor-1996/differential-assembly/

This is but one of the things it could be. If you do find this, replace the screws with new screws and clean out the threads of the differential gear very well with carb or brake cleaner spray and a gun bore brush. Then when you reassemble, use blue or red Locktite to keep the screws in place.

You'll most likely have to replace the carrier housing and side gears since they'll have the crap beat out of them from flopping around inside the housing. Make sure you remove all grease and metal fragments and replace with a good bearing grease. Over fill the entire carrier housing with grease as well as the transaxle housing up to about 5/8th of it's capacity since grease will usually over time harden and depending upon the grease you choose, run away from heat and compression rather than toward heat and compression.

Good luck,

Max

Regwal

Threads
Good thought Max, however my part number is 918.04566 and looks a lot different than the one you referenced. I can see where a good working knowledge is important for these transaxles so any idea or thought is appreciated. I'm getting anxious about looking inside mine, just have to make time, getting it in line behind other projects. Jacks Small Engines has a good pull-apart diagram of my unit.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good thought Max, however my part number is 918.04566 and looks a lot different than the one you referenced. I can see where a good working knowledge is important for these transaxles so any idea or thought is appreciated. I'm getting anxious about looking inside mine, just have to make time, getting it in line behind other projects. Jacks Small Engines has a good pull-apart diagram of my unit.

REG .. Is this similar to YOUR transaxle ??? ... this could be an MTD unit in your machine ..???

Really need the numbers from your machine to do anything ...

...................................part_p_291892_2979181704.gif

Last edited:

Regwal

Threads
Yes, it is MTD, TORA, CRAFTSMAN, CUB CADET and others. It must be a popular tranny for Lawn Tractors.