Craftsman walk behind mower 917.377790 with honda engine

arrubla

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman walk behind mower 917.377790 with honda engine
I was given this mower last week. First time I see one with a clutch to engage blades. After starting engine, I push the lever and it seems so hard, i m afraid to push more and brake lever. As I push lever, the blades slowly start engaging but as soon as I let go of lever the blades disengage. I also noticed the "operator presence control bar" is not hooked to anything as the conventional stop brake bars ( they have a cable that goes to the engine so as the bar is released the engine stops) I opened the black box where the lever for the blade is and where the operator presence control bar go kind of together, and I did not see any cable or hook where the operator presence bar would hook to in order to disengage the blade if released. I guess the cluth is in locked position because when I push down on the presence operator bar, nothing happens, I do not see anything moving on to or underneath mower.
I saw a tiny diagram on the internet images on google that supposedly shows where the stop brake hooks down underneath mower where the clutch is, to but is so tiny I could not read it and kept looking at sears parts direct and could not find any.
Any help on this?
Robert

arrubla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. i have looked at the manuals. I have tried to find a service manual or a place with diagrams with no luck. What I can't see to understand is how the operator presence control bar works, since, I opened up the casing and did not see any cables attached to the end where this bar goes into the casing. I think a cable might be missing or if not a cable, some kind of piece missing that would make the operator presence control bar effective. As of now, the bar just moves up and down and nothing else moves. that is why i was trying to find a diagram to see if the mower was missing something or maybe a spring

primerbulb120

Threads
Thanks. i have looked at the manuals. I have tried to find a service manual or a place with diagrams with no luck. What I can't see to understand is how the operator presence control bar works, since, I opened up the casing and did not see any cables attached to the end where this bar goes into the casing. I think a cable might be missing or if not a cable, some kind of piece missing that would make the operator presence control bar effective. As of now, the bar just moves up and down and nothing else moves. that is why i was trying to find a diagram to see if the mower was missing something or maybe a spring

Could you post pictures?

arrubla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tomorrow I ll take a picture of the inside of the casing where the clutch lever is and the red bar go into.

primerbulb120

Threads
You're in luck! :thumbsup: I'm familiar with that casing and the mechanism inside, it was used to control the drive system on many Craftsman mowers.

The red bar does not do anything under the deck. Its sole purpose is to prevent the blade control lever from staying in the forward position when the operator is not present.

Here's how it's supposed to work:

1. With the red bar held down, press the blade control lever forward. The lever should go all the way forward and lock into position with a click.
2. Release the red bar. The blade control lever should snap back to the original position.
3. If you push the blade control lever forward without holding down the red bar, it should snap back to the "off" position when released.

I found a video that might help. Just keep in mind that in the video, the lever controls the self propel instead of the blades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-bd_P4SWWU

If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them. :thumbsup:

primerbulb120

Threads
The blade control lever is spring-loaded, but it shouldn't be hard to push forward. I think you have a sticking cable. In order to replace the cable, you will have to replace the entire lever assembly as well. The part costs about $40, but it might be interchangeable with the self-propel controls from older Craftsmans like the one in the video. (The self propel controls are much cheaper.) If you can post the measurements of your cable, I'll try to find out if they're interchangeable.

arrubla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great. Thanks. It is good to know that you are familiar with this mower. I have never had one like this one, with a clutch to engage the blade.
I will measure that cable tomorrow and send you the measurement
Again, thanks
Robert

arrubla

Forum Newbie
Threads
cable measures about 57 inches plus or minus; from where it hooks under the mower by clutch assembly to the lever