Deck Leveling Gauge

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They can warp. Fab decks can to but not as often.

This is a new one on me. So these decks are warping so bad you are getting a in-even cut. The only way I can think of to test for such a happening is to strip the deck and lay it on a flat surface. Just where do these decks warp?? So just how do you test for a warped deck when a customer comes into your shop? Or are they warping where the spindle housing fastens to the deck housing? If this is the case how do you repair it, shim the spindle housing so the blade is level? Is there a repair? You are saying just a linkage adjustment??? So you have a warped deck with two or three blades just how do you make them all level?? I just don't see these linkage adjustments on the low end mowers?? I don't see spindle adjustments on any mower other then a Ferris???

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't give a dam about the deck being the blades are what cuts the grass. Ask the #1 Original Poster if those gauges he saw for sale were to check blade height for an even cut or check the deck.

We're aren't even in the same universe much less on the same page. Have a nice day.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't give a dam about the deck being the blades are what cuts the grass. Ask the #1 Original Poster if those gauges he saw for sale were to check blade height for an even cut or check the deck.

We're aren't even in the same universe much less on the same page. Have a nice day.

Yes it started out as a deck leveling gauge and I said I do mine with a tape measure. Then as I see it I got attacked by saying I was sending out shoddy work and charge the customer for it and then a dream story about warped decks. Its got way beyond the PO first post I agree. We are talking about the simple job of leveling a deck not a complete deck overhaul. You have your own nice day as well in your own universe.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hopefully these John Deere deck leveling gauges come with instructions so there is no confusion as to what the scope of the work is. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• gauge.JPG
    gauge.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 11

BWH

Threads
Thanks for all the information on the gauges, I knew someone would have the lowdown on them.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for all the information on the gauges, I knew someone would have the lowdown on them.

I'll give you the low down on the John Deere blade height gauge..
It's cute. JD dealers have them as they are required to have a minimum in stock. I have one and keep it as a "collectors" item and here is why!
The packager shrinks the wrap to tight which bends it. If you don't break it opening the package, you need a heat gun to warm it up and bend it back straight.
When you use it to measure the blade tip height, (the blade tip facing forward) you need to look at it straight on to observe the measurement, then you need to remember the measurement. Before you take any measurements, you need to remark it so you can see the markings as you are on your belly in order to see the scale. If you can't get that low to the ground, then you don't know if the tip of the tool ever touched the tip of the blade and you can't see where the pointer is indicating at a measurement.
You can grab the tool after taking the measurement, hold it where it is indicating, lay it over to get it out from under the deck and hopefully it stayed at the measurement.
Great tool!!!
Those of us that are in or have been in the power equipment repair business have our ways of checking decks and although not exact to thousands of an inch, generally do the job.
I prefer to not deal with stamped decks as I have found most of them to be twisted, bent or rusty and sometimes all three. In addition to the worn mechanisms that suspend them and then the blade spindles which is another story!!!
A few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those of us that are in or have been in the power equipment repair business have our ways of checking decks and although not exact to thousands of an inch, generally do the job.
:

Very true :thumbsup:

BWH

Threads
I'll give you the low down on the John Deere blade height gauge..
It's cute. JD dealers have them as they are required to have a minimum in stock. I have one and keep it as a "collectors" item and here is why!
The packager shrinks the wrap to tight which bends it. If you don't break it opening the package, you need a heat gun to warm it up and bend it back straight.
When you use it to measure the blade tip height, (the blade tip facing forward) you need to look at it straight on to observe the measurement, then you need to remember the measurement. Before you take any measurements, you need to remark it so you can see the markings as you are on your belly in order to see the scale. If you can't get that low to the ground, then you don't know if the tip of the tool ever touched the tip of the blade and you can't see where the pointer is indicating at a measurement.
You can grab the tool after taking the measurement, hold it where it is indicating, lay it over to get it out from under the deck and hopefully it stayed at the measurement.
Great tool!!!
I prefer to not deal with stamped decks as I have found most of them to be twisted, bent or rusty and sometimes all three. In addition to the worn mechanisms that suspend them and then the blade spindles which is another story!!!
A few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Thanks Mad Mackie, I had my wonders about the plastic gauges. I know what your saying I too have used different ways throughout the last 40 years to check/adjust my deck level. The real problem is I have a hard time with my bad back getting under the deck to measure, I just thought at least with this I could check from outside the deck. But like most short cuts maybe it's not as easy as I anticipated. At least I now know which one is made from metal.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I check my blade height using different sockets that I have measured & wrote the height on each I use. I check at 3 inch for front, if my 3/4" drive socket just fits under the blade tip, all is good up front. etc, etc.

I don't need to buy store plastic toys, someone could even just cut a piece of pvc pipe to size or whatever. It ain't rocket science..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do most of mine on my trailer which makes it a lot easier.
The trailer is a motorcycle trailer with the spaces between the wheel channels filled in so it is flat.
Originally I tried to use one of those leveling gauges but in reality they amplify any inconsistancies in the surface under the mower.
The usual "tool" is a rectangle of timber 2" x 2.5" x 3", a lot easier to use and actually more accurate.
If things are giving me grief I use a set of T shaped expanding bore gauges