Deck Leveling Gauge

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I only remove mine only when I must. I have a 2007 zmaster everything has been off it one time or another, except the deck. Last year had to do some welding on the baffel . I left it on to do it. I only relevel when I have to. Not very often. But its a 5 min job when I do.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
So tell me ... how many times do you have to level your deck ..?? Do you bother to remove the deck annually for a major cleaning and inspection, lubrication, belt replacement, etc. and you don't bother to level the deck after re-mounting it ..?? do you do an occassional walk-around of your machine to check for loose or broken /missing items etc. or are you one of those clowns that's a straight thru n thru " gas n go jockey " ...run the sheeet out of it, till it quits in the middle of a job ...?? and after you make your " first pass " of the day do you look to see what your cut pattern looks like ..???..:2cents:
All my stuff is well maintained. But I'm sure not taking a deck that weighs over 200 pounds off just to do a inspection. Or change a belt bearings blades

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was directing my response to BWH who ask the question and wasn't expecting anyone set in their ways using a tape measure to change any more than I would ever go back to a tape measure. BWH may possibly want to explore new methods.

cashman

Threads
I used a small engine valve spring compressor for years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what are we leveling here deck or blades? If the deck, what is so hard about using a tape measure??? I am not understanding something here. You set the mower on a level floor and take 4 measurements front to back and side to side on the bottom side of the deck. No rocket science and hasn't got to be too the 1000th of a inch. I have been using this method for years now and never had a customer complaint. It might include some very simple math in which any carpenter understands. There can be all different methods of doing this job so I say use what works the best for you. When I looked up a deck leveling gauge on E-Bay it was over 30 dollars and that is nothing I need in my tool box.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stamped decks do not work like that. You have to measure the blade not the deck.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just what are we leveling here deck or blades? If the deck, what is so hard about using a tape measure??? I am not understanding something here. You set the mower on a level floor and take 4 measurements front to back and side to side on the bottom side of the deck. No rocket science and hasn't got to be too the 1000th of a inch. I have been using this method for years now and never had a customer complaint. It might include some very simple math in which any carpenter understands. There can be all different methods of doing this job so I say use what works the best for you. When I looked up a deck leveling gauge on E-Bay it was over 30 dollars and that is nothing I need in my tool box.
So if a customer brings a lawn tractor to you complaining about an un-even cut you tape measure the deck side to side, front to back tell them it's just fine, charge them a fee and send them on their way?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So if a customer brings a lawn tractor to you complaining about an un-even cut you tape measure the deck side to side, front to back tell them it's just fine, charge them a fee and send them on their way?

We are talking about leveling a deck not a blade problem. If it is cutting un-even there is a reason for it. Warp decks not buying it, you must be mowing rocks, its time for a new deck if it is warped that bad. So again one more time what are you leveling the deck are blades??? By the way I don't charge for something I can't fix just because you do. I am up front with the job before I even start and if they don't like it take it elsewhere. At my age and retired I can pick and choose my jobs and sure don't need to rip anybody off. I have found that on the cheep mowers the brackets that hold the mowers to the chassis wear out in time or just broken off, is this what you are talking about? Yes I do re weld decks. You must also run a repair shop and doing this type of work and if so must have different type of work coming in your shop then I do.

csmlet

Threads
I was researching Deck Leveling Gauges I see Oregon, Sears, John Deere and a couple of others have them, they are mostly similar design but they don't indicate if there made from metal or plastic. Anyone have one that is made from metal?

Not to get caught up in all this discussion but just to let you know I use the John Deere leveling tool and it is plastic. Great for checking the blades.