Repairs snapper center tube bushing replacement

5$bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking for advice on replacing the center tube bushings on my Snapper Model 28087BE.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you mean the steering shaft bushings, it's not that hard. Remove the steering wheel and both tie rods. Drop the steering shaft out the bottom, watching how parts go together. Replace the bushings and reassemble.

5$bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower sags in the middle so I am replacing the bushings where the front and rear hook together. From what I have found so far is that it can be difficult to separate the two halves off the mower

cashman

Threads
You have to remove the brake and clutch pedal cover pads and remove the cables from them via the slot on each pedal. Be sure to notice how many cable spacers are on each pedal cable in front of pedal before removing cables. Remove the throttle control cable at the engine. Loosen and remove the ignition switch wire from under the cover under the seat that has the starter button on it. Remove the deck cover and loosen the idler pulley bracket and remove the belt. Remove the two chains that hold the deck at rear under the seat. Before you try to separate the tube from the rear frame, tie about 3 feet of string to each of the pedal ends of both the clutch and brake cables. This will make it way easier to re-assemble the clutch and brake cables. I learned that the hard way. Loosen up the clamp around the tube put a mark on the tube for reference when reassembling the mower. It's best to have a helper hold the rear of the mower when pulling the tube out of the rear frame. Don't pull the tube out any further than you have to replace the bushings. Re-assemble in the reverse order and your done. Good luck!

5$bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you very much! I am going to tackle the job today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you very much! I am going to tackle the job today.

Two tricks that work really well.
1) take your camera down there with you and photograph the mower every time you remove a part thus you will have a step by step instruction how to put it back together.
2)Using something soft like an old towel , rug, or bedsheets lay the parts down in the correct orientation and again photograph them every time you pull a part off.
The thick material prevents bit rolling away.

When I am working on something that I do not have an IPL for, I set up my old digital camera in movie mode, hooked up to its external power source on one side
And the kids SJ Cam ( go pro copy ) on the other side of the mower.
This way I can watch myself from both sides if I have problems reassembling .

5$bill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips. I got the job done today. It was a long day but the mower does not sag.