Craftsman transmission fluid question

rande

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Craftsman riding mower, 289081. The axle seal was leaking. Craftsman says the only way to repair is to replace the transmission at $800+. I found one on Ebay for $500+. No way I'm doing either of those for just a seal. I took the transmission apart last weekend. I've already found a company that makes a seal with the correct specs and found they have a distributor in city. I've already ordered and received the new seals this week. I would like to replace the fluid when I reassemble the transmission. Does anybody know what type/weight of gear oil the mower uses and the quantity?

Thanks in advance.
Randy

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've got a Craftsman riding mower, 289081. The axle seal was leaking. Craftsman says the only way to repair is to replace the transmission at $800+. I found one on Ebay for $500+. No way I'm doing either of those for just a seal. I took the transmission apart last weekend. I've already found a company that makes a seal with the correct specs and found they have a distributor in city. I've already ordered and received the new seals this week. I would like to replace the fluid when I reassemble the transmission. Does anybody know what type/weight of gear oil the mower uses and the quantity?

Thanks in advance.
Randy

First off Randy what type Trans. is it..?? I looked at your MOWER parts list and I couldnt even tell
where your trans. begins or ends .. is it a manual, hydro, cvt or what ..?? need make,model, & serial # s
Did you use a manual for dis-assembly ...nothing in there ..??? Please share any info & tips about this with the forum ...we're all here to learn & help each other ..Thanks ..Boobala ..:thumbsup:

rande

Forum Newbie
Threads
CVT, Like the first post says, Craftsman riding mower, 917.289081. No manuals available for the transmission. I just took it apart. Wasn't too hard. There are LOTS of screws holding the case together. I made sure I had pictures of how everything attaches back to the cases.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From the diagram from sears it looks like it could be the GT General Transmission. Is the case made from a nylon plastic type material. If GT unit, there are no internal serviceable parts,

rande

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sears says that about a lot of the things I've repaired.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sears says that about a lot of the things I've repaired.

I know exactly what you mean Rande, I did reverse engineering at an aircraft overhaul facility I worked for ... Pictures , during disassembly become your RE-assembly manual along with notes you take ... I repaired many items we could not obtain manuals for, and the F.A.A. approved such repairs when we provided the "documentation" we prepared from same .

I had a good deal of info on that CVT trans from General ... If I can locate it I will send it in a PM and a post in this thread ... Boobala

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I contacted GT last week and they replied in about 20 minutes that evening. They replied that the lubricant this transmission uses is a grease EP00 and this transmission needs 3 lbs.

The original grease is available on Amazon, the part number is GT42737
They provided the following link:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tran...=1485225328&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

So ... looking at the Amazon price.... it looks like about $45.00 will just about cover it... I assume THEY have NOT
offered to cover the cost, since .... you ....opened the trans... ?? Was any of the online videos or info.
of any help ..?? Please keep us informed.. This is the very FIRST I've heard of anyone going into one of these
trannys. Im sure your experiences with this unit would be of significant value to the members of this site..
Did you like it's operation before the issue.? Do you think its a good design for riding mowers ??
Sorry for the hard time ..... I'm just so curious about this .... When this was first on the market, I heard over & over ... it would REVOLUTIONIZE the mower industry .. I had my doubts ...! Thanks for any feedback ..Boobala