Briggs valve and Tappet info needed

Weimsnks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
I am working on a Briggs 132452-0219-01 88042527 5hp I/C Horizontal shaft. This motor is attached to greens sander for our golf course. As you can imagine, living it's life in sand has taken it toll. I have disassemble the engine, cleaned it, measured the bore and it is within factory tolerance and I have honed the cylinder. After lapping the valves, I decided to check my valve stem to tappet clearance. To do this I just installed the cam in the block, closed the valves and took my measurements. The exhaust clearance was .030 and the intake was .015. This is a far cry from the factory specs .005/.007 and .009/.011

I was hoping someone could give me an overall length of the tappet - Briggs # 690509- so I can check for wear. I also wouldn't balk if you were to give me the valve overall lengths either.
I have new valves ordered but I have not ordered tappets yet.

If you think of something that I have not, please chime in. I am not proud.

Thanks in advance,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why are you double posting, will only make a mess of replies. I know of no place which will give you sizes for valve or tappet length. Having that much clearance indicates you have a bigger problem than valves. Sounds to me like you have worn cam lobes or the cam bushings are worn. Were either of these checked? Would not be uncommon for a 29 year old engine.

Weimsnks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why are you double posting, will only make a mess of replies. I know of no place which will give you sizes for valve or tappet length. Having that much clearance indicates you have a bigger problem than valves. Sounds to me like you have worn cam lobes or the cam bushings are worn. Were either of these checked? Would not be uncommon for a 29 year old engine.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I thought I deleted my original msg as it was posted in the wrong forum. The issue was I did my measurement without the side cover installed which allowed the cam to droop. The cam journal and cam lobes are within the book specs.

Thanks for the reply though,

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the warm welcome. I thought I deleted my original msg as it was posted in the wrong forum. The issue was I did my measurement without the side cover installed which allowed the cam to droop. The cam journal and cam lobes are within the book specs.

Thanks for the reply though,

Rivets is not trying to be mean when he commented on the double posting. We have people will come here and put a post under say briggs, and one under the repair section, and also post under their brand specific forum, and you end up with replies in all those areas, with no coherent flow of answers.

For future reference, a few things that get the professional techs on here upset is the double, triple posting, which is irritating but we can live with. The other one is somebody that comes here and ask a question but refuse to do what we ask. Somebody will post a question but get upset by posting something on the order, of "I guess nobody here can help me", if somebody doesn't get back with them within 5 minutes, or if we ask questions of the OP and they refuse to answer them.

Weimsnks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the engine reassembled and it has started. I was hoping I could get some info on the correct carb linkage. It has went missing at some point in its life. I am most interested in the linkage from the carb butterfly down the the governor linkage. The carb is a two piece large flo-jet.

Thanks in advance

Briggs 132452 0219 01.jpg, Briggs Carb and throttle plate.jpg,Briggs motor on frame gear reduction.jpg,Briggs motor on frame 2.jpg

Last edited: