Can I adjust the clearance on these valves?

Mick Oz

Threads
These seem to have an 8mm nut in the centre of the rocker that holders the rocker in place. They don't seem to adjust as I'm used to, what am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3977.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 16

Mick Oz

Threads
Better angle from an online source

Attachments

• IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 20

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have hydraulic lifters so they are nonadjustable. What do you have for a engine?

Mick Oz

Threads
Sorry this is the same engine as my other thread repairing a beater Toro.its a Kohler 5000 series

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I can't help you out with a 5000 series Kohler because I have never heard of such a model Kohler. Could that be the tractor model number and not the engine model? If so that mower came with a Kohler command engine. This being the case that engine came with adjustable and non adjustable lifters. It looks like yours came with the nonadjustable hydraulic lifters and they adjust themselves. If by chance you loosen or remove one of these lifters you will need to bleed it or you can bend the push rod.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your engine has hydraulic lifters and they are non-adjustable.

Mick Oz

Threads
Thankyou both, it made perfect sense when I called the engine a Kohler 5000 Series but was absolute rubbish, too tired to make good sense.
It's a Toro 5000 Series Zero turn with a Kohler CV740 engine. Thank you for taking the time to interpret my question and give me an answer. None adjustable hydraulic lifters. I will look else where for the reason it won't run.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
. I will look else where for the reason it won't run.

Spark, fuel, compression, and timing and it will run. Seeing you were looking into valve adjustment is it lacking compression? If this is so on both cylinders?

Mick Oz

Threads
I have spark and fuel, and the timing should be right after checking the flywheel. So my next check point was compression, but I don't have a compression tester so I thought that I would check the valve clearance and adjust if needed.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know your tool situation or skills. I find I need certain tools in my shop to do engine repairs. I am at a lost here ??? Maybe you can tell something by putting your finger over the spark hole and turning the engine over. Personally I never had very good luck testing compression that way.

Last edited: