Question for Robert

primerbulb120

Threads
I have a Honda HRR216VKA that I bought a few months ago. I've been using it commercially. It's a great mower overall, but I've had endless problems with the rear wheels locking up when I pull the mower backwards. After a month of use, the wheels would no longer roll back and I replaced the Teflon driveshaft bushings. A few weeks later, the problem came back and I replaced them again. Now the mower won't roll backwards even after replacing the bushings. The transmission shaft spins just fine and so do the wheels. I think the deck has bent under the weight of the mower and the bushings are no longer in alignment with the transmission shaft, thus causing the shaft to bind when I pull the mower backwards. I've had issues with the front wheels as well, and it seems like this mower is just too heavy to support its own weight! :confused2:

Here's my question: If I buy an HRX, will the Nexite deck bend just like this steel one has?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Honda HRR216VKA that I bought a few months ago. I've been using it commercially. It's a great mower overall, but I've had endless problems with the rear wheels locking up when I pull the mower backwards. After a month of use, the wheels would no longer roll back and I replaced the Teflon driveshaft bushings. A few weeks later, the problem came back and I replaced them again. Now the mower won't roll backwards even after replacing the bushings. The transmission shaft spins just fine and so do the wheels. I think the deck has bent under the weight of the mower and the bushings are no longer in alignment with the transmission shaft, thus causing the shaft to bind when I pull the mower backwards. I've had issues with the front wheels as well, and it seems like this mower is just too heavy to support its own weight! :confused2:

Here's my question: If I buy an HRX, will the Nexite deck bend just like this steel one has?

Sorry to read of the pull-back issues with your VKA. It is essential the bushings be kept clean and lightly lubricated. The binding you're experiencing now may be due to an out-of-spec deck, but it would need to be carefully inspected and other parts evaluated to really conclude for a fact the actual cause(s) of the binding problem. I will guess if the deck is not to spec, it is likely due to the harsh conditions encountered with commercial use...up and down ramps, jumping curbs, bouncing in the back of the trailer, etc. The wear-and-tear of that environment is tough on any equipment.

When used commercially, the VKA only has a 90-day warranty, so you may be close to that cut-off. Even if out of warranty, a Honda dealer can go over your VKA and will zoom in on the actual problem(s) and how to resolve them. So have a good shop go over the mower and they'll be able to get it right again for you.

The HRX does have a bit more sturdy deck, but I can't recommend it (or your HRR for that matter) for commercial use. They just aren't designed to work in that area, and are really homeowner mowers.
I would not recommend getting an HRX....I'd urge you to step up and get a genuine commercial-grade machine. Of course, Honda makes three commercial models, but I think you'd be far better off (less down time) by not using any consumer-homeowner mower for your livelihood.

primerbulb120

Threads
You're probably right about why my deck bent. I don't hop curbs and my mower doesn't bounce around during transport, but I do mow bumpy yards at full speed. :tongue:

I'm out of the warranty period and I probably voided the warranty to begin with by replacing the GCV160 engine with a GCV190. (The brand new GCV160 is still sitting in my bedroom closet :laughing:)

I didn't buy an HRX to begin with because I was worried about the height adjuster tabs breaking off the deck. Otherwise, I'd probably have bought one.

There are 4 reasons why I don't want an HRC:

1. I can't justify spending over $1000 on a 21-inch mower.

2. The HRR is already very heavy, I can't imagine how the HRC would handle since it's even heavier.

3. I put a GCV190 engine on my HRR. After using it, I don't want to go back to a 160cc engine. (My fault :laughing:)

4. I want Smart Drive. :cool: It's the best drive system available for small yards where I'm doing lots of backing and turning.

I'm going to try putting a Honda engine and Smart Drive on a Toro Super Recycler. If that doesn't work, I'll try to straighten my deck.

Thanks!:smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You're probably right about why my deck bent. I don't hop curbs and my mower doesn't bounce around during transport, but I do mow bumpy yards at full speed. :tongue:

I'm out of the warranty period and I probably voided the warranty to begin with by replacing the GCV160 engine with a GCV190. (The brand new GCV160 is still sitting in my bedroom closet :laughing:)

I didn't buy an HRX to begin with because I was worried about the height adjuster tabs breaking off the deck. Otherwise, I'd probably have bought one.

There are 4 reasons why I don't want an HRC:

1. I can't justify spending over $1000 on a 21-inch mower.

2. The HRR is already very heavy, I can't imagine how the HRC would handle since it's even heavier.

3. I put a GCV190 engine on my HRR. After using it, I don't want to go back to a 160cc engine. (My fault :laughing:)

4. I want Smart Drive. :cool: It's the best drive system available for small yards where I'm doing lots of backing and turning.

I'm going to try putting a Honda engine and Smart Drive on a Toro Super Recycler. If that doesn't work, I'll try to straighten my deck.

Thanks!:smile:

Primer makes good points.

Not a single one of my 40 commercial customers use Honda commercial mowers any more because they are just too heavy & complicated to use .
They all rightly claim that as professional users they should be credited as professionals who know how to use their equipment thus their equipment should not need the idiot features found on domestic mowers.
Add to that professionals usually do wear gloves and most of them are reasonably thick leathers gloves which make holding a handle with multiple levers too difficult to do when you are doing it 4 to 8 hours a day.
One customer suffered serious wrist tendon problems that were finally attributed to using his new Honda.
Currently I am repairing a stack of very old 2 speed decks for 3 commercial customers and rebuilding the engines because they just can not use the current commercial mowers all day every day.
Nice to use if you mow 1/4 acre once a week but too uncomfortable if you are mowing 3 to 5 acres a day at full speed.
A single clutch lever pulled back to the bar is what the customers want.

A lot of them tried some of the Toro commercials because they just could not use the new Hondas but gave them up for similar reasons. Way too uncomfortable to use too complicated particularly when you can be emptying the catcher 40 times a day.

Not trying to be nasty but I think your legal department has lost the plot.
A customer who has a home lawn maintenance franchise started using a Masport SP after I loaned him one when servicing his mower.
The Masport is lighter, faster, easier to use and more comfortable to the point he can do 1 or 2 more lawns / day using it that he could using the Honda that came with the fanchise which he is supposed to use.
The handle bars won't go the distance but I have a shed full of old ones & it takes about 15 minutes to swap them over.

primerbulb120

Threads
I'm going to try putting a Honda engine and Smart Drive on a Toro Super Recycler.

Finished the new Torohonda this evening (I've been working on it for the past week.) I removed the handle with Smart Drive control from my first HRR216VKA (I've got two) and put it on a Toro Super Recycler 20054. I used the handle brackets from the Honda frame. The engine, of course, is a Honda. :tongue: This particular Toro has the rocking key drive, so the mower rolls backward just as easily as it rolls forward. :thumbsup: The wheel mounting systems are much sturdier than the Honda ones, I can already tell my lawn stripes will be straighter! :thumbsup::biggrin:

I want to take apart and clean the transmission, can anyone tell me what oil or grease it uses? :confused: It's noisier than most and I want to make sure it's okay inside. I'll have the Honda mower for a backup, but I'd rather not need it.

I'm going to try it tomorrow on a few yards and see how it cuts. I will post pictures when I clean it up and do some painting on it.

primerbulb120

Threads
A customer who has a home lawn maintenance franchise started using a Masport SP after I loaned him one when servicing his mower.
The Masport is lighter, faster, easier to use and more comfortable to the point he can do 1 or 2 more lawns / day using it that he could using the Honda that came with the fanchise which he is supposed to use.
The handle bars won't go the distance but I have a shed full of old ones & it takes about 15 minutes to swap them over.

Could you give me the model number of that Masport? I know they're not available here in the US, but I'd like to look up the specs and see how it compares with other mowers I've used.

Thanks! :biggrin: