Help identifying engine and a couple of questions.

LeeH

Threads
Hello everyone,

My JD ride on started to foul plugs and use a lot of oil last summer, and a friend suggested the piston rings were probably worn.

So I have set about (for the first time) stripping it down for a look. So far everything seems reasonably straight forward.

Question 1.
I think the serial number has rusted over as I think its supposed to be on the OHV cover? If so its not readable. I need to order the correct parts so can anybody help with the engine code of the correct piston ring P/N?

post img
picture uploader
Question 2.
When I turned the head(?) over 2 buts dropped out :ashamed: Can anybody tell me where they go....I presume they must be important!

adult picture hosting
posted image

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The intek engines should have the numbers stamped into the ohv cover. the Vanguard engines could be in the ohv cover or attached to a tag riveted to the blower housing. If the engine has a deco type cover, numbers could be located under it, so possibly look their also.

The appears to be a single cylinder ohv engine. Most likely cause of your oil consumption would be blown head gasket. Chech both sides of the head gaset for a burn out area in the area that would be between the cylinder wall and the push rod cavity.

your model number would most likely start with a 31 or 33.

LeeH

Threads
Thanks for your reply.

Would a blown gasket cause the plug to be totally coked up like it was?

It was very thick when I took it out last year. Defiantly no change its the piston rings passing?

No number on the cover or tag. I'll look in the places suggested.

Lee.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is very common for the head gasket to blow between the cylinder and the push rod cavity. Every time the piston goes down is pulls some of the residual oil out of the cavity where it is burned. then on the up stroke some of the compression gets pushed into the cavity which pressurizes the crankcase forcing oil through the breather which in turn is drawn through the carb, back into the cylinder where it is burned.

Fouled spark plug, heavy smoking, loose of power, and heavy oil consumption are all symptoms.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And those two little caps go on the ends of the valves.
they are called Lash caps & are there to prevent the valve ends from mushrooming.