What does factory refurbed really mean?

turbofiat124

Threads
What exactly does factory refurbished mean? Especially when the item looks new and never used.

I bought a refurbed pressure washer from Ollie's Bargain Mart about a year ago. It's the same washer sold by Northern only with a different label for $100 less.

The first one had a cracked pump so I took it back and then gave me another one.

So far I've encountered a few issues. It's got a 6.5 HP Honda Engine. The other day I cranked it up to wash that road salt off my Subaru the city threw down last weekend. First I cheked the oil and it was low, just barely showing on the dipstick. I used it quite a bit last summer so just guessing it's uses 250 ml of oil every three hours maybe but doesn't smoke.

By contrast my push mower has the exact same engine and dad used this thing for over 10 years before he gave it to me and it doesn't use any oil.

I had to use some ether to get it started. But for some reason all the gas had evporated out of the tank. Normally I top off my equipment after each use so this doesn't happen and gum up the float valve. Maybe I forgot?

And it surges until it runs for a few minutes. Meaning it will buildup pressure then peter out several times for a few minutes until the engine warms up.

I have constant water pressure. My guess it's the engine speeding up and slowing down for some reason.

Last summer for some odd reason I used it for about an hour, took a break and couldn't get it started without ether. Like the engine was flooding out.

Maybe the float valve is not sealing all the way.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Refurbished means its a returned item for some reason or another. They get returned to the manufacture. Rather than to take a total lose on it. they check them out fix what they find discount price and resale them .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you bring in a warranty repair on a cheap item the distributor generally replaces it with a new one.
Many times they cheat, and swap the cover over so it looks like they fixes your old one & the new covers can be sold as spares.
The broken ones then
1) go to the metal recyclers if the units are very cheap
2) go to a third party repairer
3) go to the manufacturers / distributors workshop.
4) sell the whole lot at auction sans warranty

The 2 & 3 usually rebuild the better ones using old parts from unrepairable ones the put the new covers on it and sell it as factory refurbished, generally with a lesser warranty.

stephan

Forum Newbie
Threads
What exactly does factory refurbished mean? Especially when the item looks new and never used.

I bought a refurbed pressure washer from Ollie's Bargain Mart about a year ago. It's the same washer sold by Northern only with a different label for $100 less.

The first one had a cracked pump so I took it back and then gave me another one.

So far I've encountered a few issues. It's got a 6.5 HP Honda Engine. The other day I cranked it up to wash that road salt off my Subaru the city threw down last weekend. First I cheked the oil and it was low, just barely showing on the dipstick. I used it quite a bit last summer so just guessing it's uses 250 ml of oil every three hours maybe but doesn't smoke.

By contrast my push mower has the exact same engine and dad used this thing for over 10 years before he gave it to me and it doesn't use any oil.

I had to use some ether to get it started. But for some reason all the gas had evporated out of the tank. Normally I top off my equipment after each use so this doesn't happen and gum up the float valve. Maybe I forgot?

And it surges until it runs for a few minutes. Meaning it will buildup pressure then peter out several times for a few minutes until the engine warms up.

I have constant water pressure. My guess it's the engine speeding up and slowing down for some reason.

Last summer for some odd reason I used it for about an hour, took a break and couldn't get it started without ether. Like the engine was flooding out.

Maybe the float valve is not sealing all the way.

Basically, A 'factory refurbished' product means that- It is originally sold new and then returned, sometimes even without even being used. Once such product come back with the manufacturer from the retailer or end-consumers, it going through multiple testing procedures and then rebuilt as per original factory speccifications by standard manufacturing line. Finelly sold out again to consumer at much budget-friendly rates.

AS far as the issue concerned with the particular product - It is must to contact with the seller for productive solutions.

turbofiat124

Threads
I'm just surprised that no older than this Honda engine is, it's been using oil since I got it.