Hydraulic Reservoir Leaking From Cap

Keithhe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks,

I have a 2008 Toro Z Master 52" Zturn Model 74291. Although it's been operating correctly, I had a dead (low) battery and was charging to start. As I started it, I noted the reservoir was blowing oil out the cap. Clearly under pressure. Not a ton, but highly unusual. I really have no idea what might cause this? Any thoughts would be welcome.

This is a very low time Z-Turn bought new in 2009. I'm a homeowner with about an acre and a half to mow, so total hours are at 160. Despite this, I have meticulously maintained it every year.

Not sure what to check on this, but very mechanically inclined, so nothing really out of my abilities. My guesses are something with the pump, but nothing I can think of, would also allow it to operated normally?

Stumped.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
It could be air. You may have a small leak allowing a bleed down. Did it stop after a few mins of run time?

Keithhe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks RDA. It slowed down quite a bit but I didn't want to run it too long after seeing that. You make a good point, as I failed to mention that it seemed that there was a "bubbling" look to the fluid (spec is Mobil One 15w-50). I will need to clean it up as this made a mess and see if I can find a potential leak anywhere.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
One of my older zmaster has done that once. It was extremely cold in my shop and hadn't been used in about 3 weeks.

Keithhe

Forum Newbie
Threads
It was fairly cold out, but not sure why that might cause these symptoms?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It was fairly cold out, but not sure why that might cause these symptoms?

Air in the system froths up and it is the frothy foam that is coming out.
Check the breather, If it is clogged with caked on dirt ,clippings & dust the warm air has no where to go .
Some systems breathe through the cap threads same as Toro fuel tanks except for the Californian compliant models which have a complicated breather complete with carbon filters

RDA.Lawns

Threads
California defiantly sucks. I'm willing to bet , nothing I own is legal for use in California.

Keithhe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert, that does seem to describe what I was seeing. I thought I knew the parts on this thing, but am not aware of a breather on the Hyd system? I only saw this by virtue of having to jump the battery, so may have been going on for a while? I will need to clean it up and see if I can find a leak, that might be the cause of air in the system.

Where is the breather on the hyd system? I have the full parts diagrams but don't recall having seen that. I have the new filter for it, so may drain down the hydraulics, refill with the new filter once I can find a leak.

RDA, yeah California sucks bad. I was born there and will never go back.

Thanks guys !!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Dose yours have the metal or plastic reservoir?

Keithhe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow, I thought I should know that, but don't?? It's black, but really haven't had to think about that tank much before. I'll need to check in the AM to see for sure, but "think" it might be plastic??