Stihl BG 55 piston installation

goosemasterkl

Threads
Does anybody have a good way of getting a new cylinder head on the Stihl BG 55 piston? I've tried everything. Please reply. Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does anybody have a good way of getting a new cylinder head on the Stihl BG 55 piston? I've tried everything. Please reply. Thanks

This engine doesn't have a cylinder head. The Cylinder assembly and head is all in one part. You install the piston from the bottom of the cylinder.

goosemasterkl

Threads
I understand that reynoldston; I'm sorry I may have worded it wrong. But I'm having a problem installing the piston back up in the cylinder. Which way is the V on the rings supposed to be positioned on the piston? I thought the V was supposed to point up but the ones on my old piston their pointed the other way. Someone please give me some advice. Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I had to make a guess I would install the new rings the same as the old ones come off. Unless someone knows different or you can find a service manual.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I had to make a guess I would install the new rings the same as the old ones come off. Unless someone knows different or you can find a service manual.

THIS is the very reason I ALWAYS use my camera when DIS-assembling or RE-assembling most everything I work on ... sort of like making your own
manual , taking shots the way you want and of what you want ! Doing so has saved me countless headaches I save all my pics by types of equipment, and breaking things down into a filing system , which I then store on USB thumb-drives (flash-drives ) a couple of 16 Gb drives are really cheap and hold hundreds
of pics ......... I take way too many but then I delete what I dont want later .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two stroke pistons are easy.
There is a locating peg in the groove.
It takes up 1/2 the groove so the rings have to be fitted to go around the pin.
You really can not make a mistake

Mr_M

Forum Newbie
Threads
To elaborate what Berts mentioned, when looking at the side of the piston upright, the ring gap forms an upside down V. In the slot, turn the ring around until the V finds the pin. At that time, you can squeeze the ring to be flush with the piston wall. Get both rings then slip the cylinder down on it and it has a wedge built in to automatically compress the rings for u - if still lined up correctly.