Brake Pad Tip

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If brake pads for your old mower become scarce or the economy has you down, they can be made of wood. Oak or Hickory works well.

Attachments

• Brake Pads 2017.JPG
    Brake Pads 2017.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 31

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the most dangerous thing I have ever seen.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If brake pads for your old mower become scarce or the economy has you down, they can be made of wood. Oak or Hickory works well.

First of all that doesn't look like any lawn mower brake I have ever seen. Maybe a small car or ATV? Something I have never seen or heard of. It Looks like a fire waiting to happen because wood burns then it gets hot. Well maybe a slow moving mower wouldn't get that hot so its possible?

stevestd

Threads
It is obviously a joke! Timber probably used just to hold the brake calipers in place.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Me thinks someone was given "pooh-pooh" (the nicer word) for brains ... IF it was'nt meant as a joke ! ..:thumbdown: ..:ban: :banned:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wadda ye mean.
I got 6 motorcycles that have wooden brake pads pressing into the dummy rims
Mind you they don't really stop the bikes but they do work, sort of.
Check out the brakes on pre 1920 USA motorcycles.
Most are wood.
Most don't really work but they don't burst into flames either.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe they are Cuban brake shoes that go's along with the homemade brake fluid. Just go on you tube and you can see some of the clever things they do just to keep them old cars running in which they can't get parts for anymore.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Brake fluid, pre 1920 ?
Rod & lever mechanical brakes is you don't mind.
You must be younger than you sound.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Brake fluid, pre 1920 ?
Rod & lever mechanical brakes is you don't mind.
You must be younger than you sound.

Cuban as to the country Cuba and nothing to do with pre 1920. I know nothing about pre 1920 motorcycles or care to know. The only thing I do know about early motorcycle brakes is early 50's had only rear drum brakes. I do own a 1935 Ford that has the Mechanical brakes so I know very well what they are.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the most dangerous thing I have ever seen.

I guess I will define my first post. Stopping would not work very well. Lawn mower going slow would be ok but that was on a car. Very long break distance for that. Very old horse drawn buggies used wood breaks.