Filter Changing Without a Mess

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are talking about cars. When I started as a car mechanic (40's and 50's) oil filters were a option in which was mounted some place in the engine compartment and inside a canister. Very messy. What I do with lawn mowers is my wife cuts up a lot of old cloth in which we find at flee markets, lawn sales, etc. for very little money. I just lay these cloth pieces under the filter in which it collects the old spilled oil and then this soiled cloth go's into the garbage. Works good for me.

zman111666

Threads
I make my oil drain guides out of old aluminum siding, so I can reuse them. They have a lip at the back which hooks behind the filter, preventing any mess while unscrewing. Whenever I come across an application when i don't have one that fits, i just pull out the snips and make another. I keep them all in a tin box so they are handy. Some were made to put under carburetors when I just want to quickly pull the bowl.

oilDrain1.jpgoilDrain2.jpgoilDrain3.jpg

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my Kawasaki mower engine, it has a ledge under the oil filter. (Gotta love it) Perfect to get the oil away from the block by about 1-1/2" & from there I use a cup I cut open from a plastic hand wipe container, & cut it to fit perfectly under the ledge. Golden !!!

I just did the neighbors' new Simplicity w/ B&S 23 hp, that oil filter is almost even with the engine mounting base. That one required a tilt & lots of rags, but next time will be better, I cut up a plastic bottle to funnel it & capture it. :confused2:

PS: I also always pre-fill the oil filters.

hrdman2luv

Threads
If I'd known that trick 50 years ago, changing the filter on Ole Blue, the 1965 Ford Pickum-up truck with a 240 / 6 would have been a snap. And that was before cordless drills.:laughing:

That's the only vehicle I ever drove that I could stand inside the engine compartment by straddling the cross member and change oil. Just reach down and pull the drain plug at the rear of the pan and the filter was on the left side.

This was my first vehicle. Almost identical to the one you pictured.