Engine Replacement Snapper 1538 LT--12-29-2016--Selenoid Question

joel0711

Threads
  • / Engine Replacement Snapper 1538 LT--12-29-2016--Selenoid Question
Still trying to get the new engine to turn over------
When shorting out old solenoid with screwdriver the starter will turn the engine over---- When using key only it's not doing anything.
Grandson done this with old solenoid which would point to bad solenoid so we got a new one and put it on mower. The new one is doing the same as the old one, shorted out it will turn starter, using key it's nothing---- He's getting power but shorting out somewhere. The key switch is also new being replaced few days ago.
Any thing we can try before having to take it to shop to find out the problem???? So close yet so far!!
Thanks for any ideas----

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We don't get Snappers down here & if they do come in they would be rebadged .
\The solenoid will have either 4 or 5 wires on it.
Two heavy ones, from battery & to Starter
One powering the mower attached to the hot terminal on the solenoid and usually fused.
Then either 1 or 2 at the base.
These are your control wires.
In the start position 1 must be +12V and the other ground.
If there is only 1 small wire at the base , it must be + 12V to start and the base itself must be ground.

I don't have a schematic diagram for your mower so any more will just be confusing.

joel0711

Threads
We don't get Snappers down here & if they do come in they would be rebadged .
\The solenoid will have either 4 or 5 wires on it.
Two heavy ones, from battery & to Starter
One powering the mower attached to the hot terminal on the solenoid and usually fused.
Then either 1 or 2 at the base.
These are your control wires.
In the start position 1 must be +12V and the other ground.
If there is only 1 small wire at the base , it must be + 12V to start and the base itself must be ground.

I don't have a schematic diagram for your mower so any more will just be confusing.

THANKS--- solenoid is 4 post variety--- 2 large post for positive and negaetive and 2 small wires hook at base of solenoid.... no fuse we can find between battery and solenoid..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there is a thin wire on the same post as the hot wire from the battery, the fuse will be on that wire.
It goes to the B terminal on the ignition switch.
have a little ferrit around just in case you left this wire off when replacing the solenoid, won't be the first time that has happened.

joel0711

Threads
If there is a thin wire on the same post as the hot wire from the battery, the fuse will be on that wire.
have a little ferrit around just in case you left this wire off when replacing the solenoid, won't be the first time that has happened.

will do--thanks!!

no small wire on hot post of battery---one large red wire onlyleading to sole
we have power from battery to solenoid but no power from solenoid to key switch--

joel0711

Threads

will do--thanks!!---

no small wire on hot post of battery---one large red wire only leading to solenoid......
we have power from battery to solenoid but no power from solenoid to key switch--

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well back on post #2 I mentioned how the solenoid was triggered, 12V on one small terminal ground on the other when the switch is on the start position.
Have you tested that yet ?

I can not go much further untill you post the full model number from your mower.
AS I will have to do a search for your wiring diagram.
From what I have seen Snapper put their diagrams in both the owners manual & the parts books.

joel0711

Threads
Well back on post #2 I mentioned how the solenoid was triggered, 12V on one small terminal ground on the other when the switch is on the start position.
Have you tested that yet ?

I can not go much further untill you post the full model number from your mower.
AS I will have to do a search for your wiring diagram.
From what I have seen Snapper put their diagrams in both the owners manual & the parts books.

-------------------
mower is model lt150h38ibv---

scan of electrical is attached--

thanks!!

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    255.8 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well according to that diagram there shoyld be a take off wire on the hot battery terminal wihich goes through a fuse then on to the B terminal on the switch.
The B terminal is the BATTERY POWER in to the switch.
Note it is a BLACK wire.

This is part of the new "Stop idiots bypassing the safety switches" scheme.
The creationists in power want to prove Darwin wrong by forcing the mower companies to use all black wires so owners can not bypass safety switches.

If that black power feed wire is not connected you ain't going no where

joel0711

Threads
Well according to that diagram there shoyld be a take off wire on the hot battery terminal wihich goes through a fuse then on to the B terminal on the switch.
The B terminal is the BATTERY POWER in to the switch.
Note it is a BLACK wire.

This is part of the new "Stop idiots bypassing the safety switches" scheme.
The creationists in power want to prove Darwin wrong by forcing the mower companies to use all black wires so owners can not bypass safety switches.

If that black power feed wire is not connected you ain't going no where
-------
Gotcha---THANKS,,,, I 'll check it---- the 1 fuse in the diagram is under the key switch-- 20 amp--I'll check it too and run wire--