Found these pieces in my B&S 17.5 hp, what are they?

unioncreek

Threads
  • / Found these pieces in my B&S 17.5 hp, what are they?
I'm rebuilding my B&S 17.5 hp, 31C707-0154-E1. History on it, uses a lot of oil and smokes. I bought it in 2003 and I've used it hard,we own 7 acres and mow at least 2 acres every week during the summer. It's has been hard starting for the last four or five years and I've adjusted the valves whenever I had a problem starting it. This last year I could only get it started occasionally.

I torn it down today and this is what I found. Top ring on piston is stick in the groove. Intake cam lobe is worn down with big ridges on the side of the love. Teeth on plastic gear for the oil slinger/ governor are worn down quite a bit.

And I found these pieces laying in the bottom. Can't figure out where there belong

image.jpeg

At what amount isn't it worth rebuilding and engine in this old of riding mowe?

Bob

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those parts will explain the hard starting. those parts are the broken compression release that is part of the camshaft. The stuck ring could explain the heavy oil usage. What does the cylinder walls look like. Can you still see the crosshatch pattern or is it completely gone. How about a ridge at the top of the cylinder.

As far as cost. You are on about the edge of repair, replace engine, or replace lawn mower.

unioncreek

Threads
I had a hunch that is what the parts came from. I did notice a spring between the cam gear and the first lobe that was hanging loose. I haven't been able to find a picture to look at. There is no cross hatching left on the cylinder wall, no ridge or scratches either. I figured the cost to repair it would be the deciding factor if I should fix it or replace the mower. It's been a good mower and has cut a lot of grass in the last 13 years.

Thanks for the info.

Bob