New TS 242 question

some1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

First sorry for my bad english. I am not from usa or UK. :) ( EU-Balkan ). I just bought new Husqvarna lawn mower TS 242. It has B&S 500ccm Endurance engine with 1 clyinder and 107cm deck ( 42inc ). First problem is that someonnne in the shop forgot key inside so i have 20hours on hourmeter from start :) Now i figured that i cant reset it. Thats not that important for me as that i dont understand throttle. From manaul i should have 3 positons. Low throttle, Full throttle and Cold start. Problem is that i have blocked cold start. There is some obstacle under hood, so its not possible to move it there. I realy dont understand what is point of this. I wonder if any1 have idea what is this. U can see on picutures what i am talking about. Btw tractor start nice from first ( parked in garage at averge 12.C )

Tnx for help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello,

First sorry for my bad english. I am not from usa or UK. :) ( EU-Balkan ). I just bought new Husqvarna lawn mower TS 242. It has B&S 500ccm Endurance engine with 1 clyinder and 107cm deck ( 42inc ). First problem is that someonnne in the shop forgot key inside so i have 20hours on hourmeter from start :) Now i figured that i cant reset it. Thats not that important for me as that i dont understand throttle. From manaul i should have 3 positons. Low throttle, Full throttle and Cold start. Problem is that i have blocked cold start. There is some obstacle under hood, so its not possible to move it there. I realy dont understand what is point of this. I wonder if any1 have idea what is this. U can see on picutures what i am talking about. Btw tractor start nice from first ( parked in garage at averge 12.C )

Tnx for help.

If it is starting fine then do not worry, the throttle is working properly, it is just out of position.
When you take it back for service tell the mechanic to adjust the cable position.

When you start, it is choking the engine so just move lever back till engine runs smooth with no black smoke
On the side of the engine there are a few adjustments for the cable position

gainestruk

Threads
On the hour meter it has a plug under the meter, you can unplug it and run as close to 20 hrs, for me that would be about 3/4 season mowing.
When you get to 20 hrs just plug it back in.
It won't affect the operation of mower.

some1

Forum Newbie
Threads
On the hour meter it has a plug under the meter, you can unplug it and run as close to 20 hrs, for me that would be about 3/4 season mowing.
When you get to 20 hrs just plug it back in.
It won't affect the operation of mower.

Yea i will do that. Then if throttle is just out of position it doesnt matter. I thought that factory blocked cold start bc. people have a lot of problems with starting at this model. Many reviews on internet and youtube talking about this issue.

Like this one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_L6afCCE4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yea i will do that. Then if throttle is just out of position it doesnt matter. I thought that factory blocked cold start bc. people have a lot of problems with starting at this model. Many reviews on internet and youtube talking about this issue.

Like this one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_L6afCCE4

The mower in that video has a broken decompressor or badly adjusted valves preventing the decompressor working.
He bought it from a motorcycle shop, not a mower shop & got the sort of service you would expect from some one with no idea of mower engines.
I get mowers like that every day.
people have replaced anything up to $ 500 worth of bits when all that was needed was a valve adjustment.

pauly50

Threads
hi one thing i have noted with ts242 husvarna being a smart switch and ready start units , if you were to remove the default choke closed return spring from under the flywheel cover , ( this spring is connected to a air vane lever / paddle and other end of spring is connected to plastic post on intake manifold) if you remove this spring and refit flywheel cover etc and reset the throttle-choke cable so when you push the throttle full fwd as far as it will go it will place the choke plate in closed position for cold starting other than that operate the engine as you normally would , by the way if a smart switch version the start code sequence should be 3 2 1 working from the r/h side to the l/h side , the main button will turn green and ready to start , provided pto is off and pk brake is on and tractor is in nuetral

let me know if this helps

cheers pauly50

some1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys i have 1 more question. Mowing season will start in shortly so i start tractor more often. I noticed that tractor never start from first ( when cold ). I Put it in rabbit position as manual say and start. engine run for about 3-5 seconds then die. After trying start again it run without any problem. Then start from first anytime. Next day when engine is cold again i have same problem.

Any idea? Tractor have B&S Endurance 1 clyinder engine with Auto Choke.

Is this normal or should i take it to the dealer. Tractor is new without any mowing yet.

Last edited:

some1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok i figured that i need to start tractor on min. throttle and start in first everytime. Dont know why manual say on full throttle.

csmlet

Threads
Hello,

Tnx for help.

Don't apologize for your bad English, it is a lot better than my Balkan Slavic