Protect Your Lawn Mowers with a Cover!!!

mjjerry14

Forum Newbie
Threads
https://www.amazon.com/Lawn-Mower-C...=1483713773&sr=8-1&keywords=weatherpro+covers

This Cover is tear resistant, made with superior 300D material and Polyurethane lining and protects your mower. It’s premium quality lasts longer than inferior products and gives your mower longer life. Fits virtually all makes and models including gas and electric mowers and covers both the mower and attached bagger on rear-discharge mowers. Convenient storage bag included.

BENEFITS
Gives indoor/outdoor all-weather protection through the seasons. Fortifies against rust, dirt, dust, leaves, pollen, pine sap, birds, etc. Generously large and easy to use so there’s no need to wrestle with a tight fit or elastic hems – simply slip it on and use the draw cord to tighten for a Universal Fit. Fits walk behind lawn mowers including: Craftsman, Husqvarna, John Deere, Sears, Honda - virtually all makes and models. Fits many smaller snow blowers too.

BETTER QUALITY - GUARANTEED!
WeatherPRO Covers provide the best protection and will not crack in cold weather conditions. Manufacturer Guaranteed for a full year. (Register your cover and get a 2nd FULL YEAR GUARANTEE!)

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You forgot to mention it would make a near perfect mouse/rat house and they could chew the wires to aid in constructing a nest.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You forgot to mention it would make a near perfect mouse/rat house and they could chew the wires to aid in constructing a nest.

Been there done that, I'll stay away from the covers.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Very simple & cheap rodent , bug, insect, deterrent .... can be used in attics, basements even in walls by opening electrical devices and dropping a few in the wall, of course COMMON SENSE will tell you to NOT use where CHILDREN may gain access to them ...before... during ... and after use. Set a few on / in your mower .... of course you have to tolerate the ...shall we say ...aroma ?? or odor of .....MOTH BALLS !!

Spiders & Palmetto bugs/roaches moved out of my shed in 2 days... have'nt seen snakes around either !!
a friend puts a handful into a discarded cheeze grater and seals it's opening with duct tape to keep his dogs from getting to them, but he's never seen the dogs get too close to it either !! ....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very simple & cheap rodent , bug, insect, deterrent .... can be used in attics, basements even in walls by opening electrical devices and dropping a few in the wall, of course COMMON SENSE will tell you to NOT use where CHILDREN may gain access to them ...before... during ... and after use. Set a few on / in your mower .... of course you have to tolerate the ...shall we say ...aroma ?? or odor of .....MOTH BALLS !!

Spiders & Palmetto bugs/roaches moved out of my shed in 2 days... have'nt seen snakes around either !!
a friend puts a handful into a discarded cheeze grater and seals it's opening with duct tape to keep his dogs from getting to them, but he's never seen the dogs get too close to it either !! ....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bugs, Rodents and insects aren't the real problem with covers. Condensation is the real problem. May as well leave the mower out in the rain. Using a cover is a no win situation.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep it is better left in the rain than under a sweat suit.
Bought every one available from my distributors, not a one with vent holes.
A single sheet of corri laid over the top and an old T-shirt slipped oner the seat like a seat cover is a lot better than any plastic rust bag you can put over a mower.
Go to any local government yard and most of their mowers will be sitting in the yard, uncovered.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bugs, Rodents and insects aren't the real problem with covers. Condensation is the real problem. May as well leave the mower out in the rain. Using a cover is a no win situation.
What would cause condensation with everything being equal on both sides of the cover, including air temperature?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What would cause condensation with everything being equal on both sides of the cover, including air temperature?

If it has vents in it then both sides can become equal.

Without vents as the cold air heats up and rises it can not get away because the cover traps it.
The hot air draws water out of the ground which is trapped by the cover so your mower is in hot wet air all the time .
When the temperature drops, the water condenses on the cover & your mower.
Overnight more cold air is drawn in from under the cover and the cycle continues.
Look at car covers.
All the outdoor top quality covers have vents in them to prevent this happening.

I use motorcycle covers on my mowers because they are vented.

To prevent condensation covers should go on before dewfall in the evening, come off , get turned inside out before the dew has dried off in the morning then get replaced when dry & the mower is a little warm to prevent UV damage then come off in the cool of the afternoon to go back on before dewfall.

The ground under the mower / car/ bike must be sealed to prevent the heat evaporating moisture out of the ground which gets trapped by the cover.

Inside a shed, under an awning or in a spot that is always shady things are different.

Without the cover the mower gets wet overnight from dew but during the day the dew dries off because of the suns heat and the air circulation so it is only wet during the night when it is cool so any corrosion will be very slow as corrosion is a Redox reaction and as such is almost nill when cold and increases exponentially as the temperature rises so when the air under the cover is both hot and moist corrosion happens at its peak rate.
This is why things rust so much faster in the tropical enviroments than they do in artic enviroments

BWH

Threads
Very interesting conversations on condensation problems, equally interesting the problems and remedies from different climate's from around the country and the world. I would like to bring up the problems from my part of the world Nebraska. To keep away from covers and such I built a 15'x25' lawn shed from wood with a on grade 4" concrete slab Problem Solved, not quite here in Nebraska where the frost works down to 5' deep into the ground depending on the season is a problem of its own. In the spring when you get a unseasonably warm day with a bit of humidity in the air metal objects tend to get completely soaked. Not only lawn mowers, tillers, weed eaters but also any tools, jacks, power tools etc. The only way to control this situation is to keep the floor from freezing by heating the storage building to a level just above freezing for the winter, but that gets expensive. Now I do heat a 32'X32' workshop all winter but I work in it and don't have room to store everything and still have space to work.

I finally took a lesson from our fore fathers, 70+ years ago they built wood grain storage bins that utilized a wood floor 15" off the ground thus creating an equal air gap keeping farm grains completely dry for over 70 years. By building a 16X16 using squared up old power poles for the structure then used 5"X5"x8' old discarded utility pole crossarms for the floor joists then a little plywood six truss rafters and Menards tin to sheet it has become the perfect storage shed for me. Completely dry even during spring thaws. I know 16'x16' sounds small but just storing mowers, ATVs, weed eaters, blowers, etc. you can get way more in for winter storage than you would think. Plus I put up 12' side walls and have a 50% upstairs loft that will store more than you would imagine. Solved my problem without too much cost using low to no cost materials and my free labor to construct.

Lawn Addict
Threads
No covers here either.