Riding mower.

ron815

Threads
I have always used a push mower, mainly for the exercise, but now I want a riding mower. That 1/2 acre is starting to kick my butt. I can't afford much over $1000.00. Have been looking at the Troy-Bilt 420cc OHV 30-Inch Premium, and wonder if you guys like it. The price is about right. Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are fine if you have flat level ground and weight less than 150 lbs.

ron815

Threads
My land is pretty level, and I weigh about 180. I'm asking about the quality and reputation. I don't want to be advised by a dealer.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not a dealer.
They just have problems with the drive if you have hills or weight. Then the disk that runs the wheels starts slipping. So it has a good reputation for people that don't weight over 150 lbs and no hills. Lots of others have had issues with the drive system needing to be replaced with very few hours on them.

ron815

Threads
Thanks BlazNT. No, I wasn't calling you a dealer. I just meant that I needed advice, so I didn't have to take a dealer's word for how good a mower is. Like I mentioned, about $1,000.00 is all I can afford. Was looking for the most reliable mower for that price. After research, $1000.00 is the starting out price for most. Any suggestions are welcomed. Mostly looking for reliability. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While not trying to be insulting at the price you are willing to pay you will only get rubbish that will barely be able to do the job till warranty runs out
If you want something that is durable look for an old RER with a manual gearbox and chain drive.
Good ones will still be slightly above your budget.
Realistically a top shelf self propelled mower will cost more than you want to get a ride on for, so you will not get much of a ride on.

ron815

Threads
Thanks bertsmobile. I figured that too. That's why I was asking about reliability. I may be able to go to $1500. but even that is the beginning price for most.

Jack17

Threads
Frequent http://www.searsoutlet.com/

Most of these items are floor models regular Sears stores didn't sell so they mowed them to their outlets. They come and go...not always there so you just keep an eye on it, search for it every few days and you'll find yours and within reasonable distance from where you at.

ron815

Threads
Thank you Jack. Looks like some good prices. Back in the day, Sears was the leader. I always thought when they stopped the catalogs and didn't compete with Walmart and Amazon, their days were numbered.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Sears announced last night they would sale the craftsman brand to Stanley black & decker. In 2 years there probably wont be a craftsman mower or small engine yard tools. They didn't make them anyway . Chain saws trimmers and blowers are pollen. Mowers are ayp I think.