Much BETTER and longer lasting LED lights for Hustler mowers

cell6ida

Threads
  • / Much BETTER and longer lasting LED lights for Hustler mowers
I thought these lights deserved their own thread instead of just putting them at the end of the original thread, which is here:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/28029-Added-some-LED-lights-to-my-Raptor-SD

For full instructions on how to install either the old lights or the new lights (same process), refer to the thread above.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After about a year, or approximately 50 mowing hours, these lights were not useable anymore. Most of these lights had at least half of their LEDs inoperable. So most of the lights were putting out less than 50% of the light they put out when new.

So I got rid of all of these lights,

and installed these MUCH BETTER AND MUCH BRIGHTER lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014VZKH5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are 22” light bars, and they put out a hell of a lot more light than all of the previous lights combined!

Since I already had the main power source for the old lights already in place, this was very very very easy to switch out. It was plug and play. For the rear lights, I simply purchased L brackets from Home Depot (due to the space limitation and the fact that the brackets for the light were non reversible) and bolted the L brackets into holes that were already in the engine guard.

For the front lights I used the brackets that came with the light (since there was more room than on the engine guard) and drilled holes in to the frame, then bolted the lights down. Those suckers aren’t going anywhere.

I expect these lights to last MUCH longer than the original lights, and they are less expensive than buying as many of the original lights as I had before. And, should anything happen to the lights themselves, I can spend $22 to buy a new one, unbolt the old one with two bolts, then rebolt the new light in. Easy Peasy!

To anyone thinking about buying the original lights that I installed, I suggest buying these new ones instead. They are much more heavy duty, and easier to install, MUCH brighter, and they throw light out much further!

RhettWS

Threads
Very nice and thanks for the update on those older LED strip lights. Good to know! :thumbsup: Now all you need is a cage or similar over the lights to keep them from getting smashed. Maybe a retractable cover, closed during the day, then just roll up for night time mowing, chasing rabbits, etc..

cell6ida

Threads
Very nice and thanks for the update on those older LED strip lights. Good to know! :thumbsup: Now all you need is a cage or similar over the lights to keep them from getting smashed. Maybe a retractable cover, closed during the day, then just roll up for night time mowing, chasing rabbits, etc..

I saw a video somewhere (I gotta try and find it again) of a guy trying to break these lights. He grabbed them by the cord, threw them up in the air, then slammed them down as hard as he could. They bent, but still worked.

Now, I'm not going to test this out for myself, but , I should be good as far as running into stuff with them.

cell6ida

Threads

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those lights all look really cool but I'm still going to wear my powerful head lamp so I can see where I'm looking, besides that tractor doesn't care what's in front of it.:laughing:

Jefferey

Threads
I just did this today on my SDX still haven't mowed yet so everything is still shinny and clean, I also added 3 coats of top coat POR15 to the underside of the deck.
My Question is that on my wire harness when the lights are off there is a red led light on the switch
That stays on, I don't mow 5 months out of the year do to the weather in Iowa. So would this little LED
On the switch drain my battery over time? I did try and find a source that I can hook the POS wires too but what no luck in finding that source. I want the switch to power off after whe I turn the key to the off position .
Jeff

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you want the light to turn off with the key you should have used a power source that only had power with key on.

Jefferey

Threads
that is a sealed unit under the key I can not get to it, I tried all the other places as well.
I guess I will just remove it durng the winter months while it sits and on trickle.

Pumper54

Threads
that is a sealed unit under the key I can not get to it, I tried all the other places as well.
I guess I will just remove it durng the winter months while it sits and on trickle.

Can you attach the light's power wire to the positive terminal on the starter motor or solenoid? It would be hot when the key is one and off when the key is turned off.
Tom