Scag Cheetah won't crank

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
In your operators manual, pages 74, 75 and 81 are the electrical system for your Briggs & Stratton powered Cheetah.

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Guys,

From what bertsmobile1 said it looks as though I have a serious issue and need to take the Scag to an electrician. I have 12v on the brake, steering arms and seat switch wiring as soon as the ignition is turned on!

Cheers, Peter

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First an appology.
I should have checked first, It appears that Scag do things different to everyone else.
They run power all over the mower.

go to Scag http://www.scag.com/OPManuals/SCZ/SCZOPMANTOC.html and download your manual.
In the back is the wiring diagram and according to the one I checked Scag safety switches are live.
The SCAG EYE has a chip in it by the looks of things which grounds out the control wire to the relay which powers the starter solenoid which cranks the engine.

The last place you should take the mower to is an auto electrician.
Take it to a mower shop
Mower wiring is very easy.

Check the wiring according to the diagram for your mower.
If you can not understand it post your numbers so we can bring up the same wiring diagram and walk you through it.
I will go back & try to remove my erronious reply.

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Bertsmobile,

Well that's a relief I must say - I was thinking that the Scag's electrical system was toast!

Thanks for the offer of phone consult - very very much appreciated. I see that you are in Australia which is bonus - phoning the US at a convenient time, as you may know, is sometimes difficult to arrange.

Please e-mail me at jonespm@ozemail.com.au with your phone number and a date/time convenient for you and I will call. When I say "I" I really mean my son-in-law, James Deacon - he's the mechanical wiz at our property (Hahndorf, SA) and he will understand what you say better than I.

Cheers, Peter

PeterJones

Threads
Hi Guys,

Problem fixed. In my case I had no power to brown (seat power) wire into the Control Module. This was just a loose connection in the main harness plug!

What I did deduce are the conditions the Control Module is looking for to allow cranking (all measurement at wires going into the Control Module):

• Control Handles Out, Brake On, Seat Switch Depressed, key in START position.

• The RED wire at the module provides BATTERY VOLTAGE to power-up the module - needs 12 volts

• The BLACK wire at the module provides GROUND to the module. Confirm good GROUND is present on BLACK wire at module connector.

• The ORANGE wire at the module is supplying BATTERY VOLTAGE from the LH & RH neutral (control lever) switches to the module- needs 12 volts

• The BROWN wire at the module is supplying BATTERY VOLTAGE from the seat switch to the module - needs 12 volts

• The PINK wire at the module is supplying BATTERY Voltage from the brake switch to the module - needs 12 volts

• The LT BLUE wire at the module is supplying BATTERY VOLTAGE from the PTO switch to the module - needs 12 volts

• The GREEN/BLACK wire at the module is supplying GROUND from the module to the start relay. Confirm good GROUND is present on GREEN/BLACK wire at the START RELAY.

• The GREEN wire at the start relay is supplying BATTERY VOLTAGE from the key switch to the start relay - needs 12 volts

When the above listed conditions are met, voltage will be supplied on the GREEN/WHITE wire from the start relay to the starter solenoid to engage starter.

Cheers, Pete