Ferris H2222K Hydro trans.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No idea about the springs in the pump unit but as it is spinning quite fast centrifugal force should force the balls out and I expect the cam pushes the balls in creating the pumping effect.
If you have not lapped the plates then I doubt the tranny will work.
The volume of oil pumped is very very small so given the chance of passing between the two oil galleries via the scoring or driving the wheel motors, the oil will follow the path of least resistance.
Now it could be nothing more than at those speeds all the oil passes through the scoring and when spinning faster, enough oil passes through the engines to get them to work.

Rob47

Threads
No idea about the springs in the pump unit but as it is spinning quite fast centrifugal force should force the balls out and I expect the cam pushes the balls in creating the pumping effect.
If you have not lapped the plates then I doubt the tranny will work.
The volume of oil pumped is very very small so given the chance of passing between the two oil galleries via the scoring or driving the wheel motors, the oil will follow the path of least resistance.
Now it could be nothing more than at those speeds all the oil passes through the scoring and when spinning faster, enough oil passes through the engines to get them to work.

I do not follow the hydraulic fluid path in this system. The G-rotor pump is what makes the pressure to drive the transmission - it seems to me - because that is the only thing that looks like a oil pump. Where it goes from there and how variable speed forward and reverse is accomplished is beyond me. When you speak of scoring, I don't see it nor do I understand where you are looking. The mower is working fine now, but why it makes a whining noise going forward and not in reverse is troublesome. It would seem something is not "happy" inside the hydro unit and if I knew where it was I would fix it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In your last photo you can see the slots for the oil flow and the wear between the slots,
The oil that the G rotor pump is pumping is passing along the grooves rather than going to the motor.
Like anything under pressure the oil will take the path of least resistance so on level ground 90% might go through the motor and 10% goes through the wear grooves.
Going up hill the motors are a higher load than the wear grooves so 90% of the oil now escapes along the grooves between the intake & discharge ports or strait out under the sides leaving you with 10% to power the motors.

The groaning you can hear is the sound the oil makes as it escapes from places where it was not supposed to.

Rob47

Threads
In your last photo you can see the slots for the oil flow and the wear between the slots,
The oil that the G rotor pump is pumping is passing along the grooves rather than going to the motor.
Like anything under pressure the oil will take the path of least resistance so on level ground 90% might go through the motor and 10% goes through the wear grooves.
Going up hill the motors are a higher load than the wear grooves so 90% of the oil now escapes along the grooves between the intake & discharge ports or strait out under the sides leaving you with 10% to power the motors.
The groaning you can hear is the sound the oil makes as it escapes from places where it was not supposed to.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to Post #28 ? I have posted several photos and want to find what slots and grooves you are speaking of. When I looked at the mating surfaces of the G-rotor pump I did not see scoring that a fingernail would catch on. If you tell which post and photo you are looking at, I can send you that photo and then you can use the Windows default program "Paint" to put an arrow at the place of concern.
When you use the term "motor" is the the round hub that has the steel ball bearings in it ?

Additionally, If the whining is created by escaping oil pressure, why is there no noise in reverse ?
It still loads the pump and motors the same, would it not ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The groaning you can hear is the sound the oil makes as it escapes from places where it was not supposed to.

Are you referring to Post #28 ? I have posted several photos and want to find what slots and grooves you are speaking of. When I looked at the mating surfaces of the G-rotor pump I did not see scoring that a fingernail would catch on. If you tell which post and photo you are looking at, I can send you that photo and then you can use the Windows default program "Paint" to put an arrow at the place of concern.
When you use the term "motor" is the the round hub that has the steel ball bearings in it ?

Additionally, If the whining is created by escaping oil pressure, why is there no noise in reverse ?
It still loads the pump and motors the same, would it not ?
[/QUOTE]

in post 12 you have labeled it intake & discharge ports in white text
In the photo under the labled one the wear patterns are clearly visible.
When new that plate had a flat mirror finish.

Rob47

Threads
When new that plate had a flat mirror finish.[/QUOTE]

So the scoring you are speaking of in the enclosed photo with arrows is where you suspect the oil pressure is being lost from the G-rotor pump. This surface is integral with the whole hydro unit casting, and that would indicate that if this is indeed the problem, there is no fix for removing that scoring without taking a .002-.003" cut off that surface to make it completely flat again. This would be a delicate machining operation to say the least. Since this Eaton unit is no longer available, I will live with it unless I could find a similar hydo unit that would adapt into this mower deck with some modifications. Eaton is still in business but don't know what they have that is a newer design that would be adaptable.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Hydro drive (11a).jpg
    Hydro drive (11a).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 17

Rob47

Threads
When new that plate had a flat mirror finish.

So the scoring you are speaking of in the enclosed photo with arrows is where you suspect the oil pressure is being lost from the G-rotor pump. This surface is integral with the whole hydro unit casting, and that would indicate that if this is indeed the problem, there is no fix for removing that scoring without taking a .002-.003" cut off that surface to make it completely flat again. This would be a delicate machining operation to say the least. Since this Eaton unit is no longer available, I will live with it unless I could find a similar hydo unit that would adapt into this mower deck with some modifications. Eaton is still in business but don't know what they have that is a newer design that would be adaptable.
By the way, this "scoring" you have identified does not catch my fingernail as I drag it across the surface, this is why I have not given it a lot of attention.
attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep that is the place.
You might get away with some 1000 or 2000 wet & dry stuck to a ring that will go over the input shaft then lapping carefully.

The plate that the pump sits in moves the pump so that the output is increased or reduced and the flow between those two slots is either foreward or reversed.
The motors will also have oil feed & drain holes in them and work in either direction depending upon which way the oil is flowing.
Hydro boxes are easy & convienant but have a very limited number of working hours.
Mr Fords most valuable invention, planned redundency strikes again.