Repairs Intro with question

Mick Oz

Threads
I tried fresh fuel today and rechecked that I'm defnately getting fuel and spark to the chamber. So I think the timing must be off. I suppose that means that the flywheel has moved around the crank shaft.
Remove and check the flywheel is next.

Mick Oz

Threads
Well it's not the flywheel or the flywheel key, pulled it apart this morning, looked rusted and abused so I had big hopes of a fix, but you look at the pictures. I think it's still nice and straight and true, no slipping here. Next stop was the valve clearances.

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a couple of new plugs.
Replace just one of them and see if the engine starts to fire.
The possum piss we get served up down here is all the rubbish that can not be sold anywhere else in the world.
You can thank Mr Keating for that.
A lot of modern fuel ( which is nothing like petrol ) becomes conductive at cylinder compressions.
NGK no longer glaze the insulators inside the plug so once it gets wet the plug is junk unless you burn it clean.
Wire brushing leaves streaks on the insulators which aids the spark running down the nose & not across the gap

Mick Oz

Threads
Sorry I've been so long away from this thread. Days off work and then a run of night shifts. I will admit the night shifts are much more pleasant than the hot days. It's been 36 deg in the shade so I think that is 97 or 98 for you, and humid. But we get that here in the wet season so it's not like this is a surprise.
The Toro that would not start. Now runs.
I did not fix it I gave up, when I realised that with the days off and nights it would be more that a week before I got hands on it again I decided that was too long for it to be off line.
Called the dealer in town and 3 days later they sent a trailer out to pick up the Toro.
I wasn't there but the scene has been described to me several times. The man picking it up said he would try and start it to get it onto the trailer as the winch was not working.
The engine spun over well as it's been doing and he looked at it and immediately said that smells a really rich fuel mix.
He checked the carb and someone had undone the 8mm bolt on the choke cable applied full choke and retightened the bolt.
The engine was drowning, yep looks like it was deliberate, looks that way.
So 1 fast adjustment and it started right up.
Apparently it ran just perfect for the next 4 days, in fact till yesterday when it died again.

Mick Oz

Threads
Possum piss fuel, love it!!
I didn't get to check the latest problem till this afternoon, and it only seems to be electrical looks like the battery went flat. Once I jump started it the battery light stayed on so it's not charging. But It Is Running!!
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I'm sure I will be asking again in the near future.