Swapping in a CV624s and need some wiring help

olschoolsteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Simplicity and on its maiden voyage around the house, the B&S locked up. Found a Kohler engine for a good price and commenced the swap. Have it set in. Drive pulleys changed over and line up perfectly. Crank shafts are same diameter so that worked out. Swapped out old belts for new ones. That took longer than swapping the engine. Choke and throttle cables went in perfectly.

The Simplicity harness is pretty simple. Fuel solenoid wire. Large guage black, large guage red. Starter wire is obvious. The engine harness for the Kohler is a 5 wire plug. I know I dont need all of them, but reading the Kohler schematics I cant decide which to connect. Its even harder for me to understand the electrical schematics page because I dont know the charging system for the engine I have so I dont know which (of the 3) applies to what I have.

The specs off the engine sticker;
family--2KHXS.624GC
CC--624
MODEL NO--CV624S
SPEC--65578
SERIAL NO--3227701471

Has the low profile air cleaner.

Of less importance but on my radar, the stock muffler/spark arrester/baffle wont fit or bolt on due to clearance issues. Might need a generic type muffler or baffle but something I can bolt or mount to each pipe.

I just need it to maintain the battery, power the lights for night ops :) , start and turn of when asked to. Any and all help is appreciated.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
On my cv730 the purple wire is the charging wire .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To do this properly we need to know the model number of the Mower + the model number of the B & S you replaced + the colour & shape of the stator plug complete with the colours of the wires attached to the plug
The thing you need to be extra careful about is you do not end up crossing any wire that sees battery voltage to the ignition modules or you will fry them the instant they take power.

olschoolsteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll get this info and will respond back in the morning. I got everything done but the wiring and towed it back to the barn. (momma wants her stall back in the garage)

olschoolsteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll get this info and will respond back in the morning. I got everything done but the wiring and towed it back to the barn. (momma wants her stall back in the garage)

olschoolsteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK. To the best of my research, the Simplicity rider is;
Chassis no. 169468 001786
The old Briggs I pulled was model no. 404707
Type 1205 01
Code 88021512
The engine harness wires are large black, large red, (2 pin clip) then the fuel solenoid wire, and an engine ground wire. (not counting the separate but obvious starter wire)

I dont know what the Kohler engine came out of but here are the particulars on it;
Family--2KHXS.624GC
CC--624
MODEL NO--CV624S
SPEC--65578
SERIAL NO--3227701471

To amend what I said above, it is a 3 over 3 plug, not a 2 over 3 plug, even though one pin is not used. I took some pics and will load them up when I get a chance. Anything to help you to help me :)

20161230_193743.jpg20170101_100638.jpg20170101_100709.jpg20170101_100716.jpg20170101_100730.jpg20170101_101224.jpg

cashman

Threads
Don't know if your ignition switch has the terminals letterd but the engine side of the harness goes like this,

Red goes to B switch terminal with 30 amp fuse inline between switch and battery and is connected to POS on battery or POS on starter
White is engine kill goes to M terminal kills engine when continuity to ground
Blue is starter trip wire goes to S terminal goes to flag terminal on starter
Purple is charging or B+ lead goes from center terminal of regulator/rectifier to R terminal on switch and to POS on starter.
Yellow is switched accessory may not be used
Make sure you have an ignition switch that has a M terminal and not an I terminal
If I remember right, the Kohler part # for the ignition switch was 25-099-04? I recommend getting a new switch with an M terminal.

olschoolsteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will stop by my local dealer with that part # and see if they can get it for me.

Anybody else have any input?

olschoolsteel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know if your ignition switch has the terminals letterd but the engine side of the harness goes like this,

Red goes to B switch terminal with 30 amp fuse inline between switch and battery and is connected to POS on battery or POS on starter
White is engine kill goes to M terminal kills engine when continuity to ground
Blue is starter trip wire goes to S terminal goes to flag terminal on starter
Purple is charging or B+ lead goes from center terminal of regulator/rectifier to R terminal on switch and to POS on starter.
Yellow is switched accessory may not be used
Make sure you have an ignition switch that has a M terminal and not an I terminal
If I remember right, the Kohler part # for the ignition switch was 25-099-04? I recommend getting a new switch with an M terminal.

I purchased the ignition suggested above. It has six tabs, each are labled, G, A, R, B, M, S. Using the instructions above, here is where I am at;
Blue--S
White --M
Red (but which one, there are two)--B
Red--?
Purple--?
Green--?
This leaves G, A, and R

I guess I am a bit confused on your 4th line of instruction, the ignition switch doesnt have a B+, so does the purple wire go to the B terminal or the R?
That leaves G and A. But in essence I am left with 3 wires and 3 terminals open.

I also must admit that I havent pulled the tank or dash apart so I do not know the wires going into or out of the existing ignition switch. I think that will be easy enough once I find where each wire from the engine harness goes to in the ignition switch I purchased.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pin out for the switch
B = Battery power in ( the fused line )
G = Ground ( connects to M to ground out MAGNETO & kill the engine )
S = Starter / Solenoid B connects to S to provide power to the STARTER SOLENOID
M = Magneto wire that goes to the Magneto. Double check that this position is always open circuit & goes to Ground when switched off. There must never be volltage on th terminsl
A = Alternator & ACCESORY. Originally the power out (Purple) from the rectifier went to this terminal. Now Purple goes direct to battery +. The power feed to the electric clutch ( if fitted ) will now go to this terminal.
R = Reverse cut out and is used if the mower shuts down when reversing with the blades engaged