LT155 w. Kohler 15.5 hp - Freaky Starting Question

southfreedon

Threads
Just picked up a LT155 at an estate sale!!! After power washing five years worth of barn dust & bird crap off of it, I found a near mint ride!! Drained old fuel, cleaned carb, replaced spark plug & installed a new battery & gave it a try (without adding fuel)...It cranks over perfectly with plenty of spark!!! Here's the problem - the starter just keeps cranking even after I turn off the key!!! Never in my life have I ran into this issue. Can anyone give me some insight?

Thanks in advance,

Donnie B

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) crud inside the starter switch maintaining the contact between the S & B terminals
2)Switch is bad
3) solenoid is stuck
4) mice munching on wires causing shorts

Rocky J

Threads
Unplug the small wire or wires from the starter solenoid < if there is two one wire is a ground because your solenoid is bolted to plastic> and see if it is still spinning, if it is still spinning then it is a stuck solenoid, you might hit it with a hammer and unstick it but Murphy's law says it will get you later and stay engaged after starting and destroy the starter. Inside of the solenoid is two brass contacts, when the key is turned to the start position current runs from the ignition switch to the small spade on the solenoid it builds a flux and is a electromagnet that pushes a contact down to connect the two contacts and your starter runs and it should with the help of a small spring release and lift off when the key is released.

southfreedon

Threads
Installed new solenoid & was back in business! Later tried to start mower & solenoid didn't even click. Jumped solenoid & starter spun fine. Suggestions?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Get a test light and check the remote wire. The wire from key switch to the solenoid. Turn the key to start position make sure its sending fire to the solenoid. If no check your ignition switch.

southfreedon

Threads
I do have power there (small purple wire).

Rocky J

Threads
Is the base of the solenoid making a good ground where it bolts down ?

RDA.Lawns

Threads
You will only have fire to it when you hold the key in start postion.Have you located a fuse? Check it see if its blown.

southfreedon

Threads
Update: After removing the wiring harness & inspecting every inch of it, I found where a mouse had done some snacking. Repaired the wire & all is good!

New Problem: After sitting for a couple of weeks, the mechanical fuel pump seems to loose prime. I checked all the fuel hose for leaks (none) & disassembled the fuel pump to inspect the diaphragm (all good)...Now what?

Any advice?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen more than one Kohler fuel pump loose prime after setting, The fuel will seep out and then the diaphragm seems to dry out and then won't pump fuel. If you can get fuel back into the pump then seem to work OK after that. Did one that way on a CH20 yesterday that had been setting for several months.