Mulching Kit

Bobby Boyd

Threads
Anyone using the mulching Kit? If so how do you like? Can it be left on all season?

-bobby

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Are you only cutting short dry grass in the spring? If so yes it can be left on. I have 4 ztr mowers 3 z masters. I have 1 mower with a mulch kit on it works great. A friend has a new ztrac John deer think its a 735. I used it for a day . it has a mulch kit on it . But it sucks. So depends on your mower and the design of the kit.

stevestd

Threads
I agree; it is horses for courses. I have a Toro Z334 with a dedicated mulching deck which works really well leaving a clean finish (but doesn’t like long wet grass). In my view side discharge is the perfect all rounder; but only when you don’t mind grass clippings being thrown out the side and a clean finish is not paramount.

PeterJones

Threads
Hi,

I bought one with Cheetah in 2014 and it was ok in short grass but the normal deck was just as good in all grass types. Took it off and never used it since.

Cheers, Peter

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run it on one of my Scags in he winter time to cut up leaves. As far as cutting grass with it I do not use it. Here where we live people leet grass grow too tall to mulch with anything.

neetan

Threads
I have the Fastrac hustler SD with the 48" / Honda 20hp, But when I used it there were two major issues to deal with. Wet grass meant more lump of grass, but more than double the usage if fuel. You are causing more ware and tear on your unit for what. yes I can see when the leaves are dropping but why?

Took it off, and got high lift gator blades.

Good luck!

turbofiat124

Threads
I have mulching kits on my riding mowers. You just take the cover off the deck and it acts like typical blades.

The only time I run the cover on mine is if there are allot of leaves or some other debris (twigs) I don't want scattered about the yard. Like in the fall, the first mowing in the spring or after I've trimmed some bushes. Otherwise I leave the cover off most of the season.

Mulching blades are great if you don't let the grass get above 2 to 3" between mowings. You know if you have the time to devote to it. It takes me about 5 to 6 hours to manicure my yard if I do it right and it only get's mowed about twice a month. Some parts of my yard can get over 6" tall between mowings.