Thread: battery draw

Mower
    John Deere

battery draw

John Deere 116 old one
    all of a sudden i had a dead battery,
    traced it done to the stator, thinking it has shorted out because of the hot and melting spots on it and, when i unhook the one wire the battery draw goes away.
    so my ?? is ( are my thoughts right?)

Mower
    Cub Cadet 109,Lawn boy 7227,4502,5243,7268

Re: battery draw

regulator or diode? what type engine do you have. it is more than charging coil.

Mower
    John Deere

it is a briggs twin cyl. opposing
    as far as i can find it has no diode, no reg.
    the only thing i find that it has is a what looks like an rectangle looking circuit breaker 20 or 25 amp can't remember what it said on it the one wire from the stator hooks to a red wire which goes into the wire harness and then goes to the circuit breaker then
    when hooking up the battery it has a heck of a draw, when i unplug the stator it has no draw on the battery
    plug in the stator with it unbolted from the motor no draw, as soon as the stator touches the block it sparks and their is a draw again

Mower

the red piug has the diode on the stator side. 3amp dc unregulated for charging battery. one red lead from stator ,dioade encased in connector, lets voltage flow one way, and is shorted.

Mower
    Kubota

I'm going to move your thread over to our John Deere section.
    Catherine
    LawnWorld Support

Mower
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by 1982-4502 View Post
    the red piug has the diode on the stator side. 3amp dc unregulated for charging battery. one red lead from stator ,dioade encased in connector, lets voltage flow one way, and is shorted.

so you're saying that the little plug that the Stator plugs into is a small diode in that plug and, if so i could probably pickup a 3amp from radio shack or something like that and wire it in the red wire

Mower
    Toro GM72 , Troybuilt RZT50, Cub Loboy

There has to be a diode to convert the A/C to D/C current , the stater is a alternator that generates A/C current the diode should allow current to go in one direction only which would make it D/C. Slide your fingers down the black wire and feel for a fat spot or look for some heat shrink. The diode can go bad and no current go either way or can go bad and go both ways like in your case. Hope this link helps, http://www.darren-criss.org/single-w...fe460daa9.html

Mower
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky J View Post
    There has to be a diode to convert the A/C to D/C current , the stater is a alternator that generates A/C current the diode should allow current to go in one direction only which would make it D/C. Slide your fingers down the black wire and feel for a fat spot or look for some heat shrink. The diode can go bad and no current go either way or can go bad and go both ways like in your case. Hope this link helps, http://www.darren-criss.org/single-w...fe460daa9.html

ok thanks guys i picked up a diode that i can wire inline i have to also picked a used module/diode so hopefully i can take care of this issue one way or another
    Have a Merry Christmas

Terry

Mower

Quote Originally Posted by tinkirk View Post
    so you're saying that the little plug that the Stator plugs into is a small diode in that plug and, if so i could probably pickup a 3amp from radio shack or something like that and wire it in the red wire
    Your stator winding may be fried,too. ebay has alot the stators ,and buy one wire red plug.can be upgraded to one with regulator three wire,stator two black wires and yellow plug.10 amp. or stator with green plug one wire, reg two wire. 5amp.

Mower
    John Deere

Red face Re: battery draw

Quote Originally Posted by 1982-4502 View Post
    Your stator winding may be fried,too. ebay has alot the stators ,and buy one wire red plug.can be upgraded to one with regulator three wire,stator two black wires and yellow plug.10 amp. or stator with green plug one wire, reg two wire. 5amp.

replace the module/diode that pugs in under the battery all is good now
    Thank You all for your help with this issue

God Bless All Of You On This Holiday Season

Terry