Engine Replacement Snapper 1538 LT

joel0711

Threads
My Briggs&Stratton 15hp engine is shot on my 10 year old Snapper 1538LT. All other components of the mower are in good condition. I'm looking at replacing the motor since it will be cheaper than a new mower (read sensible & fugual). Work will be done by authorized snapper shop and I think it will run about 550 for same engine and 120 labor. Just put a new snapper deck belt on a month ago and new battery 2 weeks ago ($100 parts). I would get the shop to replace drive belt also since it's 10 yrs old.
I hate to get rid of my older snapper especially since everything except the engine is in good shape.
Experiences/advice with new engine replacement greatly needed and appreciated!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Small engine warehouse
Small engine suppliers
Both do discount replacement engine.
Both have a script that will find a direct replacement.
It is an easy job, we can walk you through.
otherwise you are looking at 2 to 4 hours labour charges + parts get very expensive very quickly.
Since your motor was made the power rating system had changed so don't worry if you get a 13Hp as a direct replacement.
A bigger engine will not go 1 inch / hr faster with a bigger engine but if you are regularly bogging down in heavy grass it might help overcome that.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'm betting the new motor will be more than 500$ Then the labour and new parts. That's up to 300 to 500$ for approximately 1000 for a 200$ mower. And when your done its still a old snapper worth a couple hundred not to smart to me. But its your money....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm betting the new motor will be more than 500$ Then the labour and new parts. That's up to 300 to 500$ for approximately 1000 for a 200$ mower. And when your done its still a old snapper worth a couple hundred not to smart to me. But its your money....

12.5 Hp for $ 290 https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/briggs_vertical_shaft_engines4318.html if your yard is reasonably level and you mow before it gets 10" tall this will be fine

16,5 Hp for $ 390 https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/briggs_vertical_shaft_engines4339.html this one is a Snapper replacement & will drop directly in

17,5 Hp for $ 440 https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/briggs_vertical_shaft_engines4358.html

The Warehouse might have some cheaper ones.

joel0711

Threads
Found a drop in engine at a reasonable price. Grandson and I are going to do the work ourselves. May need to ask a few questions along the way. It's an older mower but I know the overall condition of it since I bought it new. Thanks again!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can no get enough 10+ year old mowers to sell to my customers.
Then just do not make them as good now days.
We are here to help those who are willing to help themselves.