Tecumseh surge problem

viperv10

Threads
I have a snow blower about 10 years old with a Tecumseh 8.5 hp engine. Last fall when I tried to start it, it surged too bad to work right. I took it to my local
repair shop and they cleaned the carb. When I got it back it still surged some but I was able to still use it. I recently started it up to get it ready for this winter
and it surged really bad again. I have been reading some of the forums about cleaning carbs and I tried it myself. It didn't help any. So I ordered a new Oregon
Chinese carburetor and put it on and it still surged and also was leaking gas. I did put a shut off valve on it to help the leaking problem. Does anyone have an idea why this engine would still surge up and down so much? Thanks fellows.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know what Tecumseh carburetor you have but. This is a common problem with the Tecumseh. On the original Tecumseh carburetor you will find one or two expanding plugs depending on what carb. you have. When the carburetor is cleaned the person that is cleaning the carburetor just doesn't remove these expanding plugs. Under these plugs you will find some very small holes in which they need to be cleaned out with some small diameter tag wire. As for your replacement carburetor I have no idea what is wrong. The surge has to do with the low speed circuit of the carburetor being plugged.

saltlife97

Threads
Don't know what Tecumseh carburetor you have but. This is a common problem with the Tecumseh. On the original Tecumseh carburetor you will find one or two expanding plugs depending on what carb. you have. When the carburetor is cleaned the person that is cleaning the carburetor just doesn't remove these expanding plugs. Under these plugs you will find some very small holes in which they need to be cleaned out with some small diameter tag wire. As for your replacement carburetor I have no idea what is wrong. The surge has to do with the low speed circuit of the carburetor being plugged.
Couldn't it also have to do with a potential vacuum leak? Maybe by the intake or the carb mouth