Mower just shut off

primerbulb120

Threads
I will. Thanks! If it's going to be costly, I"m just gonna have to Junk it... :frown::thumbdown:

Try selling it on Craigslist before junking it. If that doesn't work put it in the free section on Craigslist and give it to someone who will fix it. I did that with a Honda HR215 I didn't have time to repair. Found someone who collects and restores HR215s. That'll be a good home for it! :thumbsup:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have some customers with the Onan engine in their tractors. They are the smoothest running engine out there. You will never find a replacement that compares making that tractor is worth spending some money on.

Homeuser66

Threads
Good morning Homeuser,
Your 318 has an Onan model P218 twin cylinder engine that was built in January of 1988. This makes your tractor a 1988 or 1989 year model.
The Onan P218 engine has two cylinders in a horizontal opposed configuration. It has solid state ignition and uses battery positive electricity from the key switch to power it.
Both the Onan engine and JD 318 are fairly stout units, but as with any machine/engine, does need regular maintenance performed on it.
Incorporated into the tractor wiring harness are several safety circuits to prevent engine starting when an unsafe condition is present. Similar safety circuits shut down the engine if an unsafe condition is present. Sometimes these circuits have malfunctions.
I used to do house calls for customers, but stopped a few years ago and only do maintenance on my own machines.
For years I operated P218 powered garden tractors in my lawn care/snow removal business, but went to Zero Turn mowers in 2008 and sold all but one of my garden tractors. The high time P218 that was in my garden tractor failed and as Onan engines are no longer produced, I repowered this tractor with a Briggs Vanguard engine.
Onan parts are still available although fairly expensive.
I have both JD and Onan service manuals for Onan engines in pdf format should your tech need this information, they are large downloads however.
JD service manuals are available at JD dealers and possibly on line.
Keep us up to date with the condition of your tractor.:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Hi, For some reason, I was banned (Only created this post). So I created another profile just to update my results of my JD 318. First, Thanks everyone for all your help. (I guess I'll get banned again for no reason) but here are the results to my John Deere 318 issue.

Although I didn't send my JD out. I did have a Tech come make a house call. Besides the Coil and Capacitor go bad. I had a Flow screw in the Carburetor come out and fall under the Float on the Left side, causing a lot of gas to go into the Carburetor (Also going into the Oil). Now this thing is running like a champ again!!!

Thanks for your help!

6 second of how it sounds now!

NorthBama

Threads
Great news on your 318. Glad you saved it from the scrap its just too good of a machine to scrap. Thanks for the update post.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
OH, I know how you were able to register. The site admin speaks the same language and that's one I don't need to see on every package label along with 3 or more others.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
OH, I know how you were able to register. The site admin speaks the same language and that's one I don't need to see on every package label along with 3 or more others.

What are you talking about?