Ideas to get blade nut off?

Jmoxie

Threads
I want to change the blades on my mower but the one side I cannot budge for the life of me. I tried extension bars for better torque and anti seize spray, PB blaster and they are just solid stuck. Any ideas? Thanks

RDA.Lawns

Threads
A impact wrench may work. If that don't work try to heat the nut with a torch. That's the last option because it can get the greese in the sealed bearing hot and mess up the seal. A impact wrench and patience is the best options.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If my 2x4 impact method wouldn't work I'd go to my sharp cold chisel and hammer with an anvil backer. If those methods don't seem reasonable to you there are nut splitters to purchase.

Attachments

• nut.JPG
    nut.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 5

RDA.Lawns

Threads
That much hammering on the bottom of the shaft can bend it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That much hammering on the bottom of the shaft can bend it.

If I don't know how to use an anvil backer, mentioned in my previous reply, I shouldn't even own a lawn mower.:laughing:

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I'd use heat before I started beating on it. I've never seen one i couldn't get off.But what do I know I'm just a dumb country boy that grew up on a 2000 acre farm. Then spent many years in the oil production industry.

Jmoxie

Threads
Thanks for the ideas guys,

I didn't think of heat, I will try that.

I don't want to hit the assembly to hard because the whole assembly is very old and a couple good cracks and it will be bent out of wack. If the heat don't work I will just have to cut it off with the grinder. But then it more parts than just replacing the blades.

Thanks again for jarring the mind.

Mick Oz

Threads
I was in the same spot as you. Tried sockets and a breaker bar, even with an extension. Then the air compressor driven rattle gun, no good.
2 minutes with a small blow torch keeping the heat on the head of the bolt until I got the first wisp of smoke from behind the blade and the rattle gun took that blade of like it wasn't even tight.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove deck so you can apply liquid wrench with GRAVITY. Flip deck over so nut is up. Apply liquid wrench , tap nut with brass hammer. WAIT overnight. Repeat, Repeat liquid wrench dose. Repeat overnight. etc. Always tap, tap, tap, apply......on 3rd or fourth day try breaker or air wrench.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have had very good luck with a air impact wrench. My next step is a long breaker bar, 36inch long with 3/4 drive. I have used a air chisel just to loosen them as a last resort. I don't like the heat idea because its hard on the bearings and seals but wouldn't rule it out. If I do need the heat I would replace the bearings and seals but that's just me, bearing and seals are cheap insurance.